Grafana query editor/wizard is not available for Flux

Hello,

I would like to make certain settings for my graph, but I can’t find them and unfortunately I don’t know why.
I am looking for this:

this is what it looks like for me:

Did I miss something or did I set it wrong?
Best regards

Welcome @gam12power to the Grafana Community Forum.

Do you see a pencil icon on the right? If yes, what do you see when you click it?

Thanks!
unfortunately not, are there different versions of grafana?

That query editor/wizard is available only for InfluxQL (older InfluxDB query language) language, but you have Flux (newer InfluxDB query language). I believe you can change language in your InfluxDB datasource configuration.

Okay, and how can I set/see these settings in the new Flux language?

If using Flux, there are no settings as depicted in your screenshot. You compose your query here:

If you need a good debugger / editor, you can use Influx Data Explorer.

Okay, all right, but the function of the area is the same, isn’t it? Only that you have to write it “yourself”?

Do you mean this area in Influx?

Yes, that’s the right area. What I do is compose the query there, then once I am happy with it, click “Script Editor” and that will give you the Flux query that you building using the GUI. It will look something like this:

from(bucket: "junkbucket")
  |> range(start: v.timeRangeStart, stop: v.timeRangeStop)
  |> filter(fn: (r) => r["_field"] == "SuctionPressure")
  |> filter(fn: (r) => r["EquipNumber"] == "32")
  |> filter(fn: (r) => r["EquipZone"] == "CircuitA")
  |> filter(fn: (r) => r["_measurement"] == "ChillerData")
  |> aggregateWindow(every: v.windowPeriod, fn: mean, createEmpty: false)
  |> yield(name: "mean")

Then copy & paste the Flux query into Grafana.

Okay, I understand. I’ll give it a try, thanks for your help!

I’m Using InfluxDB cloud with grafana cloud. Iinflux cloud doesnt seem to have an option to produce a flux query, only SQL. Is this something that will be added?

@dtpancer

You are correct. Influx Cloud v3 (which you are using) does not use or support Flux, only SQL (and later, InfluxQL).

If you want to use Flux, you have to install the OSS on-prem v2.7 or earlier. InfluxDB’s earlier Cloud product (v2.x) also supported Flux, but you can no longer get that.

Re: SQL, since it’s apparently the future of InfluxDB, you can use FlightSQL (a plugin developed for Grafana for this very purpose).