Linking two panels on one dashboard, with two different sources and selectors

I am new to Grafana, so please understand this, and perhaps ask clarifying questions.

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    v9.1.7 in EKS (AlpineLinux I think). OS is irrelevant.

• What are you trying to achieve?
    Two panels in one dashboard that display related information should change at the same time.
    The information in Panel-A and Panel-B are related but ceom from different sources with different ‘keys’ (not grafana term - just meaning one is custom var and one is datasource var)

=========
    how to have ONE dropdown that changes BOTH panels

Panel-A
    Zabbix data source, visualization depends on a CUSTOM VAR with fixed values like (ProductionUSA, ProductionEU, ProductionCA)
    This panel works fine by itself, with one dropdown

Panel-B
    MySQL datasource. Visualization depends on which Mysql DB is queried, as determined by the dropdown from the MySQL datasource (SpoolDB-US, SpoolDB-EU, SpoolDB-CA)
    This panel works fine by itself, with the dropdown

This doesn’t seem to be Data Links or Panel Links … that seems to be something different as far as I’m reading. I want one dashboard dropdown that will result in BOTH panels changing, but need two VAR to update at the same time …

========

• How are you trying to achieve it?
    not at all … cannot figure out how to accomplish this

• What happened?
    na

• What did you expect to happen?
    na

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?
    no

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.
    no

• Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?
    been looking at many Grafana doc pages

No help on this topic? If I can clarify, please let me know.

Welcome

dashboard drop downs are related to variables. So your one dashboard dropdown (var motherOfAllVars) can trigger an effect on the other 2 vars if there is a relationship between motherOfAllVars and the second. You can use motherOfAllVars to filter down or affect var 2 & 3 and in turn 2 & 3 can affect the related panels

Thank you, but I’m still unclear on the actual mechanism to do this.

Completely understand that dropdowns are related to vars. I have those now, and the dashboard currently has two dropdowns, and if I set each manually I get the result I expect. But I am not understanding how to ‘link’ or ‘relate’ them

how many drop downs do you have? and where do they get their data from?

I thought I mention above, sorry …

1. there are TWO dropdowns

2. first dropdown is from var ‘Env’ which is a custom var with 4 static string values that have to be static. The Data source is zabbix (and the ‘Env’ string is part of a regex to get a custom value from specific hosts. values are “ProductionUSA, ProductionEUa, ProductionA, staging0

3. second dropdown is var ‘Spool’ and is a ‘mysql’ Datasource “SpoolDB_CA_RDS SpoolDB_EU_RDS SpoolDB_Staging0_RDS SpoolDB_USA_RDS

so for instance if I want to look at ‘US’, I need Env=ProductionUSA, and Spool-SpoolDB_USA_RDS, or to view ‘CA’ (Canada), I need Env=ProductionA (don’t ask, not changeable), and Spool=SpoolDB_CA_RDS

I could potentially change the Spool Datasources names so that each one included the same string as the ‘Env’. But I don’t see that it would help.

(Meaning SpoolDB_CA_RDS could become something like SpoolDB_RDS_ProductionA, for instance)

maybe it is not possible???

I still have not found a way, and any suggestions would be great…

Still not able to find a solution, and would love some help or input :frowning:

Trying to bump this again in case anyone can help me?

Bumping one more time to see if anyone has suggestions :slight_smile:

Idk if this will help you, but I pull data from InfluxDB and Microsoft SQL servers. Had a similar issue but l managed to solved on 2 ways :

1. mixed data sources, added both queries in same panel as table and then had another panel pulling data and applying transformations. (Very limited options).

2. I discovered that InfluxDB had a SQL function to execute the queries, so I did everything inside an InfluxDB query, mainly because I know flux language beter than SQL and was easier for me to work all my data manipulation on flux language.