How to write MS SQL queries?

Grafana version: 7.5.7
Operating System: Windows 10

Hi, I am a new Grafana user. Still learning the ropes.

Trying to create a dashboard with an MS SQL database linked as a datasource. However, I am stuck at writing the SQL queries.

I find the sample query very confusing:

SELECT
$__timeEpoch(<time_column>),
  <value column> as value,
  <series name column> as metric
FROM
  <table name>
WHERE
  $__timeFilter(time_column)
ORDER BY
  <time_column> ASC

Tried reading up on Microsoft SQL Server | Grafana documentation and somehow figured out the the words starting with $ sign are macros.

A colleague at work said I do not need to use these sample queries. So I simply put “Select * from objectSensor”. Got an error message, “mssql: Invalid object name ‘objectSensor’.”

Query Inspector shows:

### mssql: Incorrect syntax near '<'.

Object
statusText:"Bad Request"
data:Object
results:Object
config:Object
url:"api/tsdb/query"
method:"POST"
data:Object
retry:0
headers:Object
hideFromInspector:false

Clicking “Show Help” shows some text on Time Series which I cannot copy and paste here.

Tried a few of the queries given in Microsoft SQL Server | Grafana documentation and one of my own. Got different errors:

Example 1:

CREATE USER grafanareader WITH PASSWORD 'pass1234'
 GRANT SELECT ON dbo.YourTable3 TO grafanareader

Error message 1:

mssql: Incorrect syntax near 'Pass1234'.

Example 2:

USE master
IF NOT EXISTS (
   SELECT name
   FROM sys.databases
   WHERE name = N'grafana'
)
CREATE DATABASE [grafana]

Error message 2:

mssql: CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master'.

Example 3:

USE grafana
CREATE TABLE [mssql_types] (
  c_bit bit, c_tinyint tinyint, c_smallint smallint, c_int int, c_bigint bigint, c_money money, c_smallmoney smallmoney, c_numeric numeric(10,5),
  c_real real, c_decimal decimal(10,2), c_float float,
  c_char char(10), c_varchar varchar(10), c_text text,
  c_nchar nchar(12), c_nvarchar nvarchar(12), c_ntext ntext,
  c_datetime datetime,  c_datetime2 datetime2, c_smalldatetime smalldatetime, c_date date, c_time time, c_datetimeoffset datetimeoffset
)

INSERT INTO [mssql_types]
SELECT
  1, 5, 20020, 980300, 1420070400, '$20000.15', '£2.15', 12345.12,
  1.11, 2.22, 3.33,
  'char10', 'varchar10', 'text',
  N'☺nchar12☺', N'☺nvarchar12☺', N'☺text☺',
  GETDATE(), CAST(GETDATE() AS DATETIME2), CAST(GETDATE() AS SMALLDATETIME), CAST(GETDATE() AS DATE), CAST(GETDATE() AS TIME), SWITCHOFFSET(CAST(GETDATE() AS DATETIMEOFFSET), '-07:00')
Query editor with example query:

Error message 3:

mssql: Database 'grafana' does not exist. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

Yet I could only put “master” in the Database field and not say, “grafana1” which I have created in my MS SQL Server using SSMS.

I get a Login error:

Login error: mssql: Cannot open database “grafana1” that was requested by the login. Using the user default database “master” instead.

I think you are having 2 different issues…successfully establishing a connection to your MSSQL database, and writing a Grafana-friendly SQL query in Grafana.

Are you sure you got the “Success” message in the Datasources?

Hi, @grant2. Ah… Pleased to meet you online, Grant Pinkos. Thank you for responding to my query.

Yes.

Here is a screenshot of my MS SQL settings:

I had some problems with adding the data source earlier. Resolved them by:

1. Adding an inbound rule in Windows Defender Firewall for TCP port 1433.
  2. Adding the TCP port 1433 using the MS SQL Server Configuration Manager found in Windows’ Computer Management.

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.