Unable to scrape metrics when installed alloy as a binary

Hi, I have created a simple config.alloy file in which I want to scrape local Linux metrics using the prometheus component of Alloy

as mentioned in the documentation, we can install it as a systemd service directly on linux
when I tried to execute the config using the above-mentioned method it worked fine but, when I execute the same using a binary file (alloy-boringcrypto-linux-amd64) it too don’t give any error ,
but in grafana it doesn’t shows any metric list for binary installation

why is it so?

i believe it is a different form a installation but it should give me metrics in grafana?

Can you hare your config, please?

Sure,
below is my config.alloy:

prometheus.scrape "default" { 
  targets = [
  { job = "alloy", __address__ = "x.x.x.x:12345" },
    ]
  forward_to = [prometheus.remote_write.qxx6i156789.receiver] 
} 
prometheus.remote_write "qxx6i156789 { 

endpoint { 

url = "https://ppd-cortex.com/api/prom/push" 

headers = { 

"X-Scope-OrgID" = "qxx6i156789", 
    } 
  } 
}

and i ran it as below:
/root/alloy-boringcrypto-linux-amd64 run /etc/alloy/config.alloy

Your configuration is attempting to scrape the target x.x.x.x:12345, is that what you are looking to do? If so, I’d double check and make sure you have a prometheus client running on x.x.x.x and port is open to 12345.

If you are trying to scrape metrics on a local host and forward to somewhere, then you should consider using prometheus.exporter components instead, such as prometheus.exporter.unix (see prometheus.exporter.unix | Grafana Alloy documentation).

Sure!

1. “Are you recommending prometheus.exporter.unix over prometheus.scrape for node-level metrics?”
  2. “Also, why would I need a Prometheus client when I download alloy as a systemd service to scrape metrics from a specific host (x.x.x.x)?”

I probably shouldn’t have said prometheus client.

With Prometheus, you would have node-exporter installed on server to collect metrics, then your prometheus server would be configured to scrape from node-exporter. With Alloy it’s the same. If you want to collect metrics on the host that you install Alloy on, then you should use prometheus.exporter.unix. If you use prometheus.scrape on localhost:12345 then you’d be scraping metrics for Alloy itself, and not the metrics that it’s collecting.

Currently I believe it’s recommended to use collect metrics with Alloy then configure remote_write into cortex or Mimir or Prometheus remote write endpoint, because Alloy does not expose the metrics it collects in a unified way. See ability to expose metrics from multiple integrations on a /metrics endpoint · Issue #576 · grafana/alloy · GitHub

understood
thankyou.

@tonyswumac

i have another query ,
Hi
As I have executed the basic config.alloy to send host data without any exporter, I now wish to migrate my existing Grafana exporter to Alloy. However, I have encountered some issues and need your assistance.

1. In my application, I have created a Grafana Agent configuration (node_exporter.service) with Grafana (v9.3.2) which looks like this:
prometheus:
  global:
    scrape_interval: 60s
  wal_directory: /tmp/grafana-agent-host-wal
server:
  http_listen_port: 12348
  log_level: error
integrations:
  node_exporter:
    enabled: true
    disable_collectors:
      - infiniband
  prometheus_remote_write:
  - url:  https://cortex.x.x.com/api/prom/push
    headers:
      X-Scope-OrgID: nexxxxxx

According to the reference document, the convert command can convert Prometheus configuration (from Prometheus v2.45) to an Alloy configuration (link: Grafana Alloy CLI Convert).

However, when I try to convert directly from my configuration, it throws an error. But when I change my agent-host.yaml to the following format:

scrape_configs:
  - job_name: 'prometheus'
    static_configs:
      - targets: ['localhost:12348']
remote_write:
  - url:  https://cortex.x.x.com/api/prom/push
    headers:
      X-Scope-OrgID: nexxxxxxxx

It gets converted into Alloy config successfully.

Could you please assist me in understanding why this issue occurs and how to resolve it without modifying my original configuration?

I don’t use the converter personally, so I can’t offer much advice there. The prometheus configuration for Alloy is pretty straight forward, I’d say try to write the config by hand and see if that works.

Alrighty,
Thankyou @tonyswumac