Trouble with Node Exporter Quickstart and Dashboard

Hello, I’m trying to use the Node Exporter Quickstart and Dashboard, offered at Node Exporter Quickstart and Dashboard dashboard for Grafana | Grafana Labs.

I got a blank dashboard layout, but no data from my data source. Then I looked at the queries, and I find they all have a instance="$instance argument For example in the CPU Usage graph:

(
(1 - rate(node_cpu_seconds_total{job=“node”, mode=“idle”, instance="instance"}[__interval]))
/ ignoring(cpu) group_left
count without (cpu)( node_cpu_seconds_total{job=“node”, mode=“idle”, instance="$instance"})
)

It seems as though there should be an instance selector, as there is an Instance selector at the top of the dashboard. But there’s nothing there to select.

If I simply remove instance="$instance from the query, I then get data, all instances show.

Also the $__interval causes no data to return. If I replace that with a hard coded 1m or 5m does return data.

So it seems these “$” values (variables??) don’t work. How can I resolve that?

hello you have to exchange the $ with a double tag

Hi @melrose, no, I imported the code directly as provided in the .json at the link.

I’m a Graf noob – are you suggesting to double-up the “$” ($$) wherever I find it? I’ll give that a shot.
If that is not what you mean, can you explain?
Thanks!

Gave up on and deleted Node Exporter Quickstart. Does not work. Using Node Exporter Full – works right out of the box.

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.