Time Series panel Vertical Visualization

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    Grafana v8.2.1

• What are you trying to achieve?
    We have a requirement to build a dashboard with a time series panel but in a vertical visualization way. We have plan to use Redis datasource and the streaming option for our use case.

• How are you trying to achieve it?
    We don’t found any way to achieve this with the current Grafana options.

Is there any way to build a dashboard with a Vertical Visualizations?

I want to ask here before start looking on how to build a plugin for this.

Any idea is welcome!

Thanks!

4 Likes

What do you mean by vertical visualization? I guess you don’t mean having time on the y-axis as that is a very niche use case (time is an independent variable and is therefore nearly always on the x-axis).

The stat panel has some for visualizing series vertically:

https://play.grafana.org/d/Zb3f4veGk/2-stats?orgId=1

And there might be another visualization that fits your use case.

Not in Grafana but our company is using vertical timeline like in Outlook Calendar to visualize machine status and display text comments in the time blocks.

There is a good reason why a lot of calendars work that way. On a larger scale it is like ‘table’ with time versus time in different scales.

Can Grafana do something like that or maybe just vertically in one scale?

Hello @daniellee, thank you for your quickly response. Your guess is what we are looking for. We are working in a project that require to simulate a visualization for certain sensors in the similar way that the operators is watching currently, and this is in Vertical (having time in the y-axis).

Based on your comment I guess there is not an standard panel to achieve this. I guess the only way is building a plugin. Right?

Thank you.

Jorge

1 Like

I am curious as I have never seen a graph panel with time on the y axis. Is there a reason for having it so? (Or are we not talking about a graph visualization?)

There are a couple of community plugins that might fit your use case. But as you said, we have no plans to have a graph panel with time on the y-axis currently. The first option here does have time on the y-axis but probably doesn’t match what you are looking for.

There is also an alpha XY panel (scatterplot) in Grafana that will be released soon: https://github.com/grafana/grafana/pull/39377

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.