Real time dashboard/panel

I am logging sensor data and displaying it on Grafana on a raspberry pi. The pi will be placed in a remote location with an internet connection. I want to be able to view the Grafana dashboard/panels from a different country (on a square space website) in real time. (i dont want remote desktop connection to the pi, i can do that already)

I know i can embed the iframe onto square space but will that give me a real time graph? Because right now, according to my very little knowledge, i think it is only running locally on the pi. In addition, when i click on share dashboard > Link, i get a local link (community.grafana.com/xxxxx) for the dashboard but i need an external link which i can excess from the internet. I get the same for share panel> embed> community.grafana.com/xxxx

I tried using snapshot (raintank.io) but i only get empty graphs. Also, i think the graphs wont update in real time in a snapshot anyway.

I would appreciate any help

Thank you

Hi @pulsetesla, there are three parts to this work flow:

1. sensor/metric producer
  2. data storage
  3. visualization dashboard, i.e. Grafana

With remote setups, often the data storage element is on a cloud or internet-accessible location. Based on your description, it appears that all three parts are running locally on a Raspberry Pi (RPi). When you want to view the Grafana dashboard remotely with this setup it introduces a problem: you don’t have an internet-accessible site. This is evident from the local Grafana link, community.grafana.com.

You’ll need to configure your network/internet settings to allow external connections to the RPi. Depending on the location, this may involve a global IP address from the ISP, or a dynamic DNS. If the RPi is behind a router, you may have to additionally configure firewall and port forwarding settings to let connections through.

Then you would access Grafana through the global IP address, e.g. 200.160.150.10:3000 or dynamic DNS, e.g. pulsetesla.ddns.net:3000 (check your authentication etc. requirements). Discussing the network configuration is beyond the scope of this forum, but you’ll find resources easily by searching online.

Hi @abirmkj

Thank you for the information! Do you know if there is a way to get run influxDB and grafana not locally? I’m assuming i have to pay in order to get the cloud storage feature.

Also, I tried setting up the DNS but i have to setup portforwarding on the router. Is there a way i can do this without port forwarding? The pi will eventually be connected to the internet using a GSM module or mobile hotspot

Hey! Did you get any solution to this query? Would love to know about it