Neutral Gauge - Zero at 12 O'clock

Imagine, if you wil, a Guage that has a needle that points straight up, with a value of 0. To the left, you have negative voltage up to -5. To the right, positive voltage, also up to 5. The neutral position of this gauage is zero. Any deviation from 0, will be either a positive or negative number.

How do Imake a gauge in Grafana perform in this manner. The guges here all seem to start on the left side, and start at zero.

2 Likes

I need this feature too. Example: I’d like do visualize my solar facility. The battery storage has a current power range from -2.5 kW (discharging) to 2.5 kW.
Did you manage to solve this somehow? If not, how could we make a feature request?

Stefan

1 Like

set your min and max values to -2.5kw and 2.5kw respectivly. this will put 0 in the 12 o’clock position.

If you want to show peaks past 2.5kw in either direction, then increase min/max accordingly.

1 Like

Ok, let me illustrate with pictures what I mean:
Gauge as it is with min -2.5, max: 2.5:
gauge-1

The 0 is at 12 o’clock, but the bar starts as -2.5.

Gauge as I would like to see it:
gauge-2

0 is at 12 o clock and the bar starts also there.

Regards
Stefan

3 Likes

Did you ever get an answer. I’m beating my head against the same desire / need

@eabyrd1506 Welcome to the Grafana forum.

Have you seen these two ideas that I made in another post? Best way to report both negative and positive values - #4 by grant2

Yes, that’s how it works all the time and it simply doesn’t look convenient.
But there is a reply under your post, that’s just another mockup of my post. :wink:
See: Best way to report both negative and positive values - #5 by rovarious

We know this is not implemented in Grafana today and the intention of this post was a feature request. Is there another channel where to post feature requests?

Stefan

1 Like

Hi Stefan. I think this is how the Grafana team wants to receive feature requests…

I requested it in GitHub already:

Have you looked into creating this via your own svg using the SVG plugin?

No, but I started fixing it on my own.
Here a before/after compare:

1 Like

How did you manage to achieve this? It looks excellent.

Cloned the source code from Github. Then implemented and build it.
Now I have to to a pull request and hope they’ll accept it.

Pull request issued:

Feature implemented with Grafana 9.3.0

See: Gauge options => Neutral

Have fun,
Stefan