How to bring up the "Variables" view for a panel?

I assume I’m missing something fairly obvious, but this is driving me crazy. I’m trying to go through a Grafana tutorial, and I’m faced with the step that mentions clicking on the “Variables” tab in the sidebar on the right side of the screen. They’ve even got a little picture of what this looks like. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that sidebar. I’ve scoured every control on the page and I can’t figure out how to get that sidebar to show up. Can someone please tell me what I’m missing here?

Here’s what I’m looking for:

and here’s what I have:

How do I get at that side panel? TIA for pointing out my stupidity.

Ok, I figured it out. Two things contributed to me not getting this sooner: 1) I was assuming that Variables were associated with a Panel, not with a Dashboard. and 2) I finally found the Gear icon at the far top-right of my screen. Clicking that brings up the panel I was looking for. That’s a very unintuitive aspect of the Grafana GUI…click some small Icon at the top-right of the window to display a sidebar on the left side of the window. It’s also interesting that both of the tutorials I was referring to seemed to suggest that that panel would already be displayed…no mention of needing to click on something to get it to appear. I knew it would be something simple.

1 Like

Agree 100%, tough one to find