Grafana Table w/ Text Data

Ok, I’ve been googling for this answer and ripping my hair out to get this (if it’s even possible). There doesn’t seem to be any easy “here’s what you need” answer out there. I’m also not sure if it’s because I’m putting the data into Elastic incorrectly for what Grafana expects, or I just don’t know what to do with the table. So here goes! :smiley:

Here’s an example of some data I’ve got in my index:

{
  "@timestamp": "1550960812", 
  "log_type": "installation", 
  "filename": "some_really/bizarre-application", 
  "version": "3.3.2"
}

I would like a table that looks like:

| Date | Filename | version

| 02/2019… | some_really/bizarre-application | 3.3.2

(forgive the formatting since I just drew that in text).

I’ve attempted to add to my dashboard a “table”. I left the Metric at “count” as there’s nothing in there to define a metric which is a string. I then set the “group by” as date and also filename. I’ve tried these two independently as well. If I do use the term as filename, it ends up creating a different row for every word in there. So I get a row for “some”, a row for “really”, “bizarre”, and “application”. It seems to be parsing it as though I want to split up my one string in the json object into many, which I don’t.

So what do I need to do to get this particular kind of table? This is so that I can keep track of particular descriptions/information over time (unrelated to graphing numbers and such).

Thanks!

If I understand your correctly, then you just want to show ES document(s). So select Raw Document:

and use JSON Data transformation, where you select required columns:

See doc: Table | Grafana documentation for more details.

Lol it’s so simple yet I couldn’t figure that out. I got it to work exactly the way I want it to work now. Thank you!! :grin:

Hello @jangaraj

i could not see General , Metric , Options etc in my Grafana UI . Could you help me to figure out . I am using Grafana Version 7

Thanks ,
Shameem

There is now a new “Transformations” Tab next to the “Query” tab.
Try there e.g. “Organize fields” to rename or hide cols.

If we wanted to see the latest “filename” field, what would we do?