ARM Packages in Packagecloud Debian Repository

Hallo Grafana Team

Kudos for your fantastic work, great software and excellent documentation.

It would be great if you added the ARM packages to your Packagecloud debian repository as per the documentation on Installing on Debian / Ubuntu.

This would have at least these two advantages:

1. The documentation on “nstalling on Debian / Ubuntu” would flawlessly apply to Raspberry PI/Raspbian.
  2. Installing updates would be way easier through ”apt update && apt upgrade”.

Do you think that would be feasible?

Thanks, Matías

Hi @matiasfrndz

Thanks for your kind words. This is something we are looking into and there is an issue GitHub tracking this here .

From your question, I infer that Raspberry installation is not per the documentation.

It seemed to work for me, however always installs 2.6, so I would now think that’s the reason.

However what is the process for pi installation? I tried https://diyprojects.io/grafana-installation-macos-influxdb-charts-mysensors-iot/ but was informed it’s out of date.

I’ve not been able to find any “official” instructions on pi installation, would be great if someone could help.

Many thanks!

I have solved this now. I didn’t realise at first that with Pi you have to install a different way, ie by downloading the .deb and manually installing. Also wasn’t clear that the arm version was arm7, as I believe pi3 is arm64. All solved for now.

Thanks for the info, @lgram

Hi @wcndave. While the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ features a 64 bit ARM processor, the operating system Raspbian 9.4 (stretch) is compiled for 32 bit (armv7l). Thus, the version of Grafana you need to install is the ARMv7 version “grafana_5.2.2_armhf.deb”, Grafana 5.2.2 being the current stable version at the time of this writing (2018-08-20).

Currently, neither the ARM64 nor the ARMv7 are available from the Grafana Debian repository at packagecloud.io/grafana. This means that the installation method “APT Repository” will not work. Instead you’ll need to follow the steps described in “Install Stable” as follows:

wget https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/grafana-releases/release/grafana_5.2.2_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get install -y adduser libfontconfig # I’m not sure this is needed
sudo dpkg -i grafana_5.2.2_armhf.deb

This is the installation procedure that worked for me, hope it helps.

Thanks for helping out! Not sure adduser is really needed, but libfontconfig is needed to be able to generate images from graphs.

Thanks. I have this installed now, including the libfontconifg, however when I try to share panel as image, I get the message:

Rendering failed - PhantomJS isn’t included in arm build per default

I have done a search and can’t see how to install this yet. I will keep searching, however as you mentioned it specifically here I thought I’d see if you’d got image generation figured out.

Thanks!

My bad, not sure what I was thinking. While it’s true that you need libfontconfig for image rendering, you also need phantomjs and that isn’t available in the arm packages.

So no way to do image generation on Pi?

Need some other solution to share panels efficiently. See my post here

Not out of the box currently. You could build phantomjs for arm yourself or find someone else who has done it and put the binary here /usr/share/grafana/tools/phantomjs/phantomjs. That should work.

Here is the solution:
Download: https://github.com/fg2it/phantomjs-on-raspberry

and integrate this in your docker script

-v /place/to/phantomjs:/usr/share/grafana/tools/phantomjs/phantomjs \