Are app plugins still supported?

Hi, I haven’t found any mentions of app plugins in the Grafana docs and was wondering if it’s still supported at all and if so to just make sure they are not going to be deprecated soon?

Possibly are there any examples or guides for it?
Thanks in advance!

Most of Grafana’s recent products like OnCall are Application plugins and they are not going anywhere.

For example, I would take a look at grafana-plugin-examples/examples/app-basic at master · grafana/grafana-plugin-examples · GitHub

Here is our most recent application plugin: GitHub - VolkovLabs/volkovlabs-balena-app: Balena Application plugin for @grafana. based on our own template.

Hey Mikhail, thanks for all the work you share with Grafana. I’ve been able to get unsigned backend and panel plugins configured, but can’t seem to figure out the the same for apps.

Do you have a guide or reference for the steps required to get apps deployed in Grafana? E.g. does it require the provisioning yaml file to work, special settings within the custom.ini file, something else?

Thanks

1 Like

@jontonlazer You need to enable the application plugin to see it: volkovlabs-balena-app/apps.yaml at main · VolkovLabs/volkovlabs-balena-app · GitHub

Let me know if there is anything else.

Ah, thank you very much

1 Like

Thanks @mikhailvolkov for the reply and linked examples!

I was wondering if you are aware of any app plugin that renders dashboard with panels as usual dashboard but on it’s custom page?

I’d like to dynamically generate grafana dashboard based on data from datasource but I’m not sure where to hook up to the probably internal grafana dashboard api.

@fusakla I am not sure I understand the question. I hope I answered at least a part of it.

Why do you want to render the dashboard on the custom page? We are using dashboards as a part of our applications to allow users to move things around. Custom pages are designed to be used as is.

You can use Dashboard API to create dashboards. It can be done with users’ input on custom pages or automatically. Dashboards can be auto-provisioned or added on initialization as synthetic monitoring app does.

Yes, those are some alternatives I’m thinking of. The thing is, I do not want the displayed dashboard to be stored in the Grafana database at all. I want it to be “ephemeral”. Something like scripted dashboards were back then (I believe that feature is gone now?).

So I’m looking for any way of displaying such generated ephemeral dashboard using Grafana panels and all the dashboard UI, ideally on custom URL path same way app plugins do based on data from data source.

I’m not sure if I made my idea any clearer and if there is any reasonable way to do this at all :sweat_smile:
But thank you for trying to help me out, much appreciated!

@fusakla It may be possible to create using a custom page.

I can think of using PanelChrome (Webpack App) for this.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.