Unable to filter for / out value in table panel with default data source

When creating table panels, I am unable to filter for or out values in Grafana 7.5.5 or 8.0 beta 2 when using the default data source with ad hoc filters enabled.
This issue existed before, but I managed find a workaround by selecting the specific datasource I wanted instead of the default. Now that “default” is no longer a separate datasource, this is not possible anymore.

I am able to filter as expected when using panels created in older version (I don’t remember the exact one) and when selecting any datasource that’s not the default. If I re-select the default datasource on old, working panels, filtering breaks.

I am using Elasticsearch as a datasource.

Hi @haele

This sounds like it should get reported as a bug. Do you have steps for us to reproduce it?

In the meantime, this is a super hacky solution, but can you not adda second dummy datasource and select it as default in the datasourece config settings?

Hi @mattabrams , thanks for the response.

As a fix/workaround I’ve manually added the datasource name to the
panel JSON, which seems to be missing when selecting the default datasource.

How to reproduce (only tested with Elastic):

1. Create a table panel with your default data source
  2. Group by Terms
  3. Try to filter by Terms (+/- magnifier symbols)

Here is a snippet of the panel JSON

Old panel (filters working):

{
  "id": 20,
  "gridPos": {
    "h": 13,
    "w": 4,
    "x": 8,
    "y": 0
  },
  "type": "table",
  "title": "Tenant",
  "datasource": "pay-prod-elas",
  "pluginVersion": "8.0.3",

New panel (filters not working):

{
  "id": 20,
  "gridPos": {
    "h": 13,
    "w": 4,
    "x": 8,
    "y": 0
  },
  "type": "table",
  "title": "Tenant",
  "pluginVersion": "8.0.3",

thanks for this @haele. Sounds like a bug. The default DS can sometimes act strangely. I’ll see if I can reproduce and then make a bug report. More soon

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.