Trying to share dashboard with community gives 404 error - how to share?

I recently ported a dashboard from influxQL (influxv1) to use flux queries (influxv2). I would like to share the v2 version to give something back :slight_smile:

I signed up for an account, and tried to share the dashboard by clicking “Upload from user portal” on the main community dashboards page. Unfortunately that link does not work for me, it 404s:

I asked on twitter and in #grafana but wasn’t able to resolve the issue via either. The closest post on these forums is this one:

https://community.grafana.com/t/how-do-i-upload-a-dashboard-to-the-community/56604/2?u=bertieb

but I don’t have a “My Dashboards” section in my account:

looking at the URL in the post linked above, that user is a member of an org, but I am not. Should I be? I don’t recall the signup process mentioning an org but I could be mistaken.

Can anyone shed some light on how I can share the dashboard I made with the community? Thanks!

Unfortunately, Grafana.com dashboard section is “broken” (not found links, weird ids, …) for a few days. You can’t fix it, you can just wait.

So, since you cant share you can share with us what you are trying to solve?

Ah, thanks for letting me know. I’ve been trying for a couple of weeks now! Has there been any update from the Grafana site team about this ?

Is the 404 error related to me not being in an org, do you know? The message implies that but I don’t know what an org is- I just want to share a useful dashboard!

I’d like to share an influxdb2/flux version of this dashboard by Scott MacDonald. It graphs the histogram data from zfs’ zpool iostatfor which zpool_influxdb collects data in an influx-friendly way).

It’s useful for seeing zpool activity:

or if the latencies are changing (my use case, why I ported the dashboard!):

I figure if there’s an influxv1 version, the v2 version would be useful to share with the community too :slight_smile:

you can open the dashboard
2. click on the gear

1. then click on json model

2. Copy the json

3. Post that json to the forum

I think we may be at cross-purposes here, or I am misunderstanding you. Are you interested in using the dashboard, so would like the JSON? Or are you suggesting I post it for some other purpose?

My purpose for wanting to share it is discoverability: for others in my position who would like to monitor their zfs stats and who have an influxdbv2 instance- a dashboard shared in the dashboards section would be more likely to be found and used than a post in a forum, or on a blog (in my opinion) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agreed. Long term it should be posted in the shared location. But since that aint working posting in this forum is better than nothing until the issue is fixed

1 Like

Use a GitHub repo to publish dahboard (use Export for sharing externally feature) and when Grafana.com is working, then you can publish dashboard and add link to your GitHub repo into description. Dashboard user will be able also to collaborate e.g. fixing, improving your dashboard. My example: GitHub - monitoringartist/grafana-aws-cloudwatch-dashboards: 30+ Grafana dashboards for AWS CloudWatch metrics: EC2, Lambda, S3, ELB, EMR, EBS, SNS, SES, SQS, RDS, EFS, ElastiCache, Billing, API Gateway, VPN, Step Functions, Route 53, CodeBuild, ...

2 Likes

Ah yes good point! Which part of the forum would you recommend? Is there a section for showcase/critiques? It’s my first dashboard (albeit a port!) so would love feedback :slight_smile:

Excellent point! I had intended to push it out to GitHub but got sidelined here trying to figure out if there was something I was missing. Thank you for the reminder :slight_smile:

Just to complete the loop in case someone else has the same issue: after some back and forth on Twitter with someone in the know we got to where it could be done (thanks Matt!).

Dashboard: ZFS Pool Metrics (InfluxDBv2) | Grafana Labs
GitHub: GitHub - bertiebaggio/grafana-zfs-metrics: Grafana dashboard for viewing ZFS pool metrics with data collected by zpool_influxdb

The way to do it was to sign up for a Grafana Cloud trial. For some reason being able to share dashboards is tied to being part of an org, which is tied to having Grafana Cloud enabled. :person_shrugging:

Thanks to all for their input :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I am stuck on the same 404 error while publishing a dashboard. I am on the free tier on Grafana cloud, able to setup the org and upload the dashboard and publish it. but the link to dashboard gives 404 JMeter Performance Testing Dashboard | Grafana Labs

Nov-27-2022 22-34-25

I had that issue too! It even showed up in the list of dashboards:

grafanadotcomerror404

As does yours, it seems:

My dashboard appeared after a day or so, yours should too :slight_smile:

1 Like

@bertieb you were right; looks like it takes 24 hours to go live :slight_smile:

1 Like