Trace to Logs (Logs for this Span button disabled)

I have an issue with the Trace to Logs button in Tempo. The button shows disabled in my traces as shown below. I have the Trace to Logs datasource correctly configured as shown in the other image. And the Logs to Trace link in Loki is working fine. Any pointers on what disables this button ?

Hello :slightly_smiling_face:

For that button to be enabled you need to have the tags specified in your config in either your spans resource attributes or span attributes.

Trace

Config

If you do not, then the button will be disabled

Trace

Config

Now, if you do have the specified tag in either your spans resource or span attributes and the button is still disabled then that is a bug and it would be great if you could raise an issue in the Grafana repo!

It’s a bit confusing. Here my traceToLogs definition:

And here is the span with the service.name attribute in it. But the button is still disabled. I have tried using just one tag “service.name” or “job” with the same result.

If I had to take a guess, it would be that Loki changes “service.name” to “job” as it doesn’t allow dots in the names. But Tempo keeps using “service.name”. So perhaps they cant correlate. But that is just a conjecture.

Thanks for the update.

In this case, you would rename your service.name tag to job.

I am using data source definition for this tags configuration as I am running in docker. Can you please share what is the syntax to use for renaming the tags ? I could not find that in any documentation on this. The following setup allows me to add

service.name

as a tag but I dont know how to specify the “as” part.

tracesToLogs:
datasourceUid: loki
spanEndTimeShift: 30m
spanStartTimeShift: “-30m”
filterByTraceID: true
filterBySpanID: true
tags:
- service.name

Worked for me with the following settings:

datasourceUid: loki
spanEndTimeShift: 30m
spanStartTimeShift: “-30m”