Test Grafana bigquery alert failed on "Illegal input character \"$\" "

Hello Grafana Community,

My Grafana version is v8.4.3, and I use this Google BigQuery plugin for Grafana | Grafana Labs as my Grafana Bigquery plugin.

Currently, I’m setting Grafana bigquery alert, my goal is to trigger the alert when current count drops 20% compared to the count at the same time last week. [P.S. We treat every 15 minuates as a point]
I also set variable $country and $platform in bigquery query.

The variable $ works in chart, but when I use the same query to test alert rule, I get error with the error message

request handler response error {error querying the database: googleapi: Error 400: Syntax error: Illegal input character \"$\" at [8:23], invalidQuery  A <nil> [] [] 0xc00165f4d0}

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks for help

Hi @bunnyli,

Welcome to the :grafana: community support forums !!

I might be not able to help that much but I will try my best because looking at your provided screenshots looks like an issue which might be better to get reported to our GitHub repo.

However, before doing that, could you please try to reproduce this same issue on https://play.grafana.org/ and then share the dashboard link so that we can view it?

(I see that in play.grafana.com, you can select any existing dashboard panel and just change the datasource to Google Bigquery and put a test data there to reproduce it).

Please let me know the outcome.

Thanks

Hello @ usmanahmad,
I have the same error…What’s the update on the post?

Hi @mariamarabi95

I will also move this post to Alerting category so that other users might already know of this can help out