Sorting and grouping variables

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    8.3.6 on Windows

• What are you trying to achieve?
    We have a large number of variables that we need to put on a single dashboard and we’d like to group them into logical groupings for a better user experience.

• What happened?
    We found that we are unable to do anything more than sort the order of the variables

• What did you expect to happen?
    We expected do be able to do some kind of simple groupings.

Is there a community plugin available that allows for a bit more flexibility on how variables are displayed?

1 Like

Take a look at

The plugin supports Grafana 9 and 10, but you can run it unsigned on 8.3.6.

YouTube Tutorial

1 Like

That’s very helpful! Not quite what we were hoping for but still a lot better than the default for sure. I wish there was a way to make it a drop down list or that it would work with free form fields but beggars can’t be choosers! We’ll probably move forward with this for now and maybe look into making our own plugin in the future that better suits our needs.
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

@lancerl We have multiple issues opened to improve the plugin: Issues · VolkovLabs/volkovlabs-variable-panel · GitHub

We are planning to add additional layouts like drop-downs, filter buttons, and inputs which was requested by the community in the upcoming version.

We can work together to add necessary updates for your use case.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply but that looks great! I’ll more than likely be contributing in the near future!

hi, is there any tutorial or example to use it with flux query? i tried to find but unable to get any where close