Prometheus, Grafana Agent metrics

Prometheus, Grafana Agent metrics

In the Grafana Agent documentation, I see that it is descried that metrics are send over “remote_write”
Prometheus documentations describes that this should be used only with caution for specific low-volume use cases.
HTTP API | Prometheus

“Use it with caution for specific low-volume use cases. It is not suitable for replacing the ingestion via scraping and turning Prometheus into a push-based metrics collection system.”

So what should be used to ship the metrics from the Grafana Agent to Prometheus, or what options are possible to get the metrics in to Prometheus from a Grafana Agent?

This sounds like more of a question for the Prometheus maintainers rather than Grafana Agent, but I’ll try my best at answering:

“Use it with caution for specific low-volume use cases. It is not suitable for replacing the ingestion via scraping and turning Prometheus into a push-based metrics collection system.”

Well, how high is your volume? Unless it’s hundreds of thousands of series, I would guess that using Prometheus’ remote write receiver API is probably just fine.

If you’re looking to send a ton of metrics to a single database, Prometheus isn’t built for that use case, but projects like Mimir or Thanos are.

Hi, do you have example how use remote write with stage.metrics? I dont see any way how to send metrics (number of logs) to prometheus by remote write.

loki.process | Grafana Agent documentation