Problems with prometheus and browser access mode

Hi,

I get an error message when I try to watch some dashboards with server telemetry data like ram etc. This worked a few weeks back like a charm, but now I only get empty dashboards.
The errormessage is:
Browser access mode in the Prometheus datasource is no longer available. Switch to server access mode."

What can I do to get this fixed ?

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    AlmaLinux release 8.7, up to date
    grafana-9.3.2-1.x86_64

• What are you trying to achieve?
    filling dashboards with data from prometheus, this worked allready

• How are you trying to achieve it?

• What happened?
    maybe somekind of update ?

• What did you expect to happen?
    Seeing the data as allways displayed in the wonderful tool.

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?
    If you tell me which one you need

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.
    There was a message in the grafana UI saying:
    Browser access mode in the Prometheus datasource is no longer available. Switch to server access mode."

Any suggestions are welcome

Best regards

fatcharly

sorry, I forgot, I’m using prometheus 2.31.1

Kind regards

fatcharly

You have to do what the error message says so, check:

Hi Paulo,

sorry, I did not know I had to switch it in the datasource settings of prometheus.

Thanks for helping me out !

Kind regards

fatchalry

1 Like

People keep dropping this, even ChatGPT thinks it’s pretty smart telling me that the best way to change the access mode is to change the access mode.

Turns out the button is just gone in my version of Grafana. It seems I’ve gone long enough between the time this was deprecated and completely removed, so now there’s just no button to flip back.

Getting out of this mess is not possible through the web UI. I had to go in the SQLite database and change this by hand, which is kind of ludicrous, IMHO. This fixed the problem for me:

sqlite3 /var/lib/docker/volumes/grafana_grafana-storage/_data/grafana.db 'UPDATE data_source SET access="proxy" WHERE type="prometheus";'

Fun fun fun…