Possible to hide certain metrics on graph panel by default?

Grafana shows all metrics by default on graph panels. I can hide metrics by Shift + click. Is it also possible to hide certain metrics by default for a graph panel?

If the metrics in question are a separate query, you can click the eye icon on the query editor. This will toggle the rendering for particular queries.

Either way, you can save the Dashboard to retain the settings you want.

Thanks, but that’s not exactly what I mean. The eye icon hides the metric also from the legend.

I want the graph panel to be loaded like this by default - two metrics, both in the legend, one metric shown by default, the other hidden (but still in the legend). Is that possible?

A series override should do the trick:

My bad - I wasn’t clear enough.

@daniellee: yep, that hides the metric, but I can’t unhide it with Shift + click on the metric in the legend.

I have a graph with 7 metrics. By default only 3 metrics should be shown (in order not to confuse the user with too much information). If the user needs to see more metrics, she should add the metric with Shift + click. Is there a way to do that?

I don’t think so. If you want to reduce the number of metrics, maybe template variables would work? That way you can preselect a few series but still have the option to choose more from the drop down.

http://docs.grafana.org/reference/templating/#templating

I guess template variables don’t work in this case. Templating allows you to select series based on tags (see this example in the live demo). What I’m looking for, however, is a way to preselect fields in InfluxDB.

Any idea how this could work?

@asteroids Did you find a workaround for this one ? Looking for same thing

seems there is an open issue https://github.com/grafana/grafana/issues/4645

Hiding certain metrics is now possible, see Graph: Added series override option to have hidden series be persisted on save by Gauravshah · Pull Request #20124 · grafana/grafana · GitHub

In short:
grafik

Add series override, enter the name of the series you want to hide by default and than add “Hidden series true”. Users must now click to enable this graph.

A few years later againg but I noticed to shift click on the metric so the panel is as you wish. Then save the dashboard and reload the page to check it’s still so. For me it was.

Ctrl-Click to Hide/Unhide the appropriate series. When you are happy, Save the Pannel and it will default to how you saved it with the ability for users to click and unhide…