Plugin has a modified signature

I’m running Grafana (v. 8.5.2) in a container that is offline.
I downloaded @marcusolsson dynamictext-panel plugin from @mikhailvolkov’s Github and moved it to /provisioning/plugins

I cannot see the plugin in Grafana and detected the following entries in the logs:

logger=plugin.signature.validator t=2023-05-31T12:08:07.12+0000 lvl=dbug msg="Plugin has a modified signature" pluginID=marcusolsson-dynamictext-panel
logger=plugin.loader t=2023-05-31T12:08:07.12+0000 lvl=warn msg="Skipping loading plugin due to problem with signature" pluginID=marcusolsson-dynamictext-panel status=modified

I’ve tried adding the plugin as a value to GF_PLUGINS_ALLOW_LOADING_UNSIGNED_PLUGINS in my docker-compose

It might be worth mentioning that I’m able see in Grafana other plugins stored in /provisioning/plugins. For instance, for the treemap plugin, the logs have the following entries:

logger=plugin.loader t=2023-05-31T12:08:07.06+0000 lvl=dbug msg="Loading plugin" path=/var/lib/grafana/plugins/grafana-treemap-panel/dist/plugin.json
logger=plugin.loader t=2023-05-31T12:08:07.06+0000 lvl=dbug msg="Plugin is unsigned" id=marcusolsson-treemap-panel
logger=plugin.signature.validator t=2023-05-31T12:08:07.12+0000 lvl=warn msg="Permitting unsigned plugin. This is not recommended" pluginID=marcusolsson-treemap-panel pluginDir=/var/lib/grafana/plugins/grafana-treemap-panel/dist

Any ideas?

2 Likes

@goncalobsantos Did you modify the signature to allow Grafana < 8.5, or what was the reason?

You will need to delete the MANIFEST file to be able to load with unsigned, as we explained in the Crash Course.

I’ve meanwhile managed to solve the problem and the plugin now shows up as signed and installed. Instead of downloading it from Github, I got the version available here:

With this version, the plugin appeared in Grafana’s browser interface, but it wasn’t installed or signed.
Then I noticed from the logs that some files from another version of the plugin had gotten misplaced inside a different plugin in the provision/plugins directory (probably a silly drag and drop mistake). After removing these files, the plugin appears as installed and signed.

1 Like