Permission denied for api/datasources request during initialisation of synthetic-monitoring

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    Grafana v8.3.2 (standalone client)
    debian + nginx

• What are you trying to achieve?
    Setup Synthetic Monitoring plugin

• How are you trying to achieve it?

1. I register cloud account and generated api keys;
  2. Installed plugin on my local grafana;
  3. Created configuration and tried to initialise it throw Web-UI;
  • What happened?
  1. I pressed on Enable plugin button with admin api key entered;
  2. After loading pictures and enabling plugin i pressed Initialize the plugin

Then request /api/plugin-proxy/grafana-synthetic-monitoring-app/install happened with publisherToken

• status 200 and i got accessToken in response with all correct data from configuration

Then after several requests grafana execute /api/datasources with accessToken inside

• status 403 Permission denied
  • What did you expect to happen?
    Successful initialisation of Synthetic Monitoring plugin

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.

• Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?

I tried:

1. All api keys (admin/viewer/editor etc) into parameter basicAuthPassword - always Permission denied
  2. All api keys (admin/viewer/editor etc) into parameter publisherToken - only Metric Publisher is ok, with others got error: {“msg”:“provided token does not have MetricsPublisher role”}
  3. Regenerated all api keys including admin api key used in “What happened? step #1” - always Permission denied

Can anyone advise what my next steps are?

Hi @kdanenkov! I’m not sure if you are still working on this issue, and I did not see anything incorrect in the screenshots you shared. By the way, you’ve likely deleted those API keys at this point but just in case you haven’t, those keys should be revoked for your account security.

I noticed some similar discussion in this post so there might be a few other things to check. As my colleagues mentioned in that other post, these steps will ensure that Synthetic Monitoring is configured to collect and store data in your Grafana Cloud account.