New Time Series panel - negative Y axis?

Hi folks,

toying with the new panel I got after updating to Grafana 7.4. In the “old” Graph panel I could easily define a negative Y axis for a certain field even for positive values. Great to draw two complementary measurements for a single “thing” like disk read/write, network in/out …

That setting was available when you click on the little colour label in the legend. I cannot find anything similar for the new beta panel. Of course I could abuse math() and multiply by -1, but that’s not optimal.

Can I do this with the Time Series panel, already?

Thanks,
Patrick

4 Likes

Hi @pmhausen,

I wasn’t able to find the setting in the legend label (which version of Grafana are you running?). But we did have this functionality for the Graph panel as part of the series overrides.

You are right this is not part of the new Time Series panel as we decided to go in a different direction and not make it graph specific. You can make use of the regular transformations, create a new field via the calculate transformation (binary operation), and hide the original one.

Yes, my bad. Of course it is in series overrides.

I went from 7.3.something to 7.4 - that’s why I’m playing with the new beta panel.

I guess I understood the approach. Will give it a try … :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi,

I just stumbled over this post, as I’m also looking for the ‘negative-Y transformation’ in the ‘Time-series’ visualization.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding above hint, but when I do a calculate transformation by doing a binary operation, I have to multiply by -1 (which I can easily do in the query too). So all the values simply get negative.
But the main advantage of the ‘negative-Y transformation’ is, that the values in the legend stay positive, which isn’t the case with the calculation.

Am I missing something? Any hint would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kurt

2 Likes

bump

@kb70 is correct - using the binary operation to fake a negative transformation works just fine for the graphs, but the legend now has those “transformed” series displaying actual negative values.

Is there really no other option? Why remove something useful like negative-Y without providing the means to achieve it in other ways?

2 Likes

Agree! Multiplying by -1 is NOT the same as the neg-y transformation. It messes up with the values, specifically the max and min become inverted.
Why REMOVE a feature?!
Now in grafana 8, time-series panel is the default, and achieving neg-y Is impossible…

4 Likes

Just run into this too, refreshing some dashboards.
Thinking I might as well update to the new timeseries panels but… yeah, *-1 is not quite the same.
Shame.

1 Like

Agreed, this is a poor solution. It especially messes up the “min” and “max” values on the series that’s been negated. Please bring the negative-Y option back!

2 Likes

Agree, there is no better visualization option for network bandwidth usage than negative-y (for received or send)… Please bring it back.

7 Likes

Likewise disk I/O read - write …

3 Likes

+1 for this feature…

1 Like

+1

I already had to downgrade our Grafana, because without we are not able to setup
graphs for switches or network interfaces. This is really important, please bring it back
before you remove the old graph panel.

Very much a missing feature. Only reason I still have a bunch of Graph (old) panels all over my dashboards.

We escalated this to our Grafana internal contacts. Transform negative-y is a must, multiplying with -1 is not a replacement. As Enterprise User, this is a major showstopper into future investments, once the old graph or alternative options are no longer available

1 Like

I am also impacted by this change. +1 for bringing back a proper ‘Negative-Y Transformation’. As others have stated, it causes issues with max and mix values, and impacts other calculations.

Hi All,

Sorry to hear this is causing many of you grief. The very best way to get this feature request some traction is to start a discussion (feature request) in the repo here to support this ongoing Github Discussion.

+1 for this feature…

1 Like

Hello so I have not played around with the timeseries graph. However the negative transform still works for by modifying the series override feature in the Display section.

I just uncheck Bars and Lines and Select Series overrides and find the Regex pattern for Alias in the query and then in the dropdown you should be able to see “negative” and then opton negative-y.

FYI:

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.