macOS Catalina - plugins won't install

I’m following the instructions for installing plugins on MacOS. I’ve installed Grafana v.6.5.2 via Home-brew. I’ve installed a plugin using grafana-cli plugins install mtanda-histogram-panel. I see it installed in /usr/local/var/lib/grafana/plugins. I restart Grafana with brew services restart grafana and reload the browser. No plugin. The plugin page says

The plugin will be installed into your grafana plugins directory; the default is /var/lib/grafana/plugins

There is no /var/lib/grafana/plugins on my machine. The only place I can see plugins is /usr/local/Cellar/grafana/6.5.3/share/grafana/public/app/plugins. Putting the plugin there doesn’t solve the issue.

Could anyone advise how to get plugins working on a Homebrew installation of MacOS Catalina, please?

Hi @richardjlyon, and welcome to the Grafana community site!

I followed your instructions on macOS Catalina:

~ grafana-cli plugins install mtanda-histogram-panel
installing mtanda-histogram-panel @ 0.1.6
from: https://grafana.com/api/plugins/mtanda-histogram-panel/versions/0.1.6/download
into: /usr/local/var/lib/grafana/plugins

✔ Installed mtanda-histogram-panel successfully

Restart grafana after installing plugins . <service grafana-server restart>

~ brew services restart grafana
Stopping `grafana`... (might take a while)
==> Successfully stopped `grafana` (label: homebrew.mxcl.grafana)
==> Successfully started `grafana` (label: homebrew.mxcl.grafana)
~ ls /usr/local/var/lib/grafana/plugins
mtanda-histogram-panel
~

After which I see it in my plugin list when opening Grafana. If the plugin is not being loaded, even though it’s in the /usr/local/var/lib/grafana/plugins, you should check the config file to see if the plugins path has been changed.

You’ll find the config file in /usr/local/etc/grafana/grafana.ini.

[paths]
# Directory where grafana will automatically scan and look for plugins
;plugins = /var/lib/grafana/plugins

It should be commented (with the semicolon, ;), in which case the default path for your platform will be used. You can also try uncommenting the line and set the directory to one that you decide.

Let me know how it works out for you!

1 Like

Hello Marcus - thanks for looking at this.

/usr/local/etc/grafana/grafana.ini specifies ;plugins = /var/lib/grafana/plugins, which was empty.

Homebrew is installing to /usr/local/var/lib/grafana/plugins.

I’ve tried:

(1) copying the plugins from /usr/local/var/lib/grafana/plugins to /var/lib/grafana/plugins and restarting
(2) altering /usr/local/etc/grafana/grafana.ini to ;plugins = /usr/local/var/lib/grafana/plugins and restarting.

The plugins still don’t show up at http://192.168.1.30:3000/plugins after refreshing the browser.

Is it possible Grafana is looking at a grafana.ini file somewhere else? I also see that the folders installed by grafana-cli plugins install don’t look like the folders with the supplied plugins. The former have src, dist, webpack etc. folders. I assume Grafana takes care of that?

Best wishes,
Richard