Limits of raspberry?

OK thank you so much for the info. I have to start all over again, I don’t remember much of what I did.
I have to look for some tutorials.
I’ll see you soon.

Why do you have to start all over again? What is wrong with what you have?

Since it wasn’t working (rpi was freezing) I formatted microSD rpi.
With the arrival of the new sowing season, I have to restore the seedbed, it is a good opportunity to resume grafana.

Linux is not windows, there is virtually never a necessity to reinstall from scratch.
One thing to think about using influx on a pi is the sd card usage. If your database is on the card (as opposed to a USB HDD for example) then you might run into problems if you are accumulating a lot of data. Also a card is generally less reliable than a disc so if the data are important then regular backups are even more important than if using a disc.

Surely I’ve dealt with this without the necessary knowledge. That’s why if I try again I want to put influx and graphana on the PC and only node red on the rpi.

OK, all you needed to do though was uninstall grafana and influxdb (or even just disable and stop the services). No need to start from scratch.

ok many thanks! If I decide to try again, we’ll definitely be in touch.

I decided to try again, installed node red following the official guide.
Which os is suitable for the pc that must host influxes and grafana?
Thanks

That is a bit ambigous, presumably you mean Running on Raspberry Pi : Node-RED

I like Ubuntu, no doubt others will have different preferences.
If you want to install node-red on that too then the same install works for Ubuntu and other Debian based systems. The command line is virtually identical to Raspbian as they are both based on Debian.

Yeah, I followed that guidebook.
I explained it wrong, I thought to install the db and graphana on an old pc (athlon xp2) not to load too much the raspberry.
Then the raspberry is in charge of reading the ds18b20 sensor through node red, the pc to save the data and present them on the graphana dashboard.
So for the pc (athlon) is there a better os to manage the db and graphana?
Thanks

Is that a 32 bit processor? I don’t think Ubuntu supports 32 bit any more, so I don’t know. I suspect a Pi 3 has a similar power to that processor, though I may be wrong. I run node-red, influx, grafana, mosquitto and more on a Pi 3 with a USB disc, measuring about 20 values, some at 5 second intervals without any problems.

Thanks for the answers. Athlon is a 64-bit.
I don’t understand why my problem can be solved with a USB drive.
There is so little data that I save on the SD that I don’t think it’s a read-write speed problem on the SD.

So remind me what problem you were seeing. If you mean the the GUI is too slow then moving the small overheads of influxdb and grafana servers will not make much difference. It is the browser that is the problem, basically a Pi 3 is not up to running a browser displaying real time charts and such like.
If you want to run a GUI on a Pi you should get a Pi 4.

According to List of AMD Athlon XP processors - Wikipedia
" The Athlon XP microprocessor from AMD is a seventh-generation 32-bit CPU targeted at the consumer market."

[Edit] URL above editted, it had a : on the end that should not have been there.

I thought you said it was an Athlon XP not an Athlon 64.

It’s an old PC, I don’t remember exactly the full name of the processor, it ends with X2 and is 64 bit.

OK, well if it is 64 bit then personally I would go with Ubuntu. Ubuntu is released every 6 months and every two years is an LTS version. The current release is 19.10 (that means 2019, October) and the next LTS is in April (20.04) so I would install 19.10 now and then in a few months after 20.04 has stabilised update to that, then you won’t need to upgrade for 5 years unless you want to. The upgrade should be painless.
If your PC is low powered and you are installing a desktop version (rather than server) then it might be worth looking at Lubuntu which is the flavour of Ubuntu based on LXQt rather than Gnome. LxQT is significantly less resource hungry than Gnome.
You can burn either of them to a USB stick and try without installing to see what they are like, then you can install (from the same stick) when you have decided.

Currently on that pc I have some extractable hd, they run well Debian 10 with xfce, Haiku, a bit hard to open suse 15.1 with kde.
So ubuntu with lqxt should be fine.
I’m going to try and I’m definitely still writing here.
Thanks

If you are used to Debian then you could use that.

1 Like