I am able to gather metrics from a Windows server by utilizing Telegraf installed on an Ubuntu server

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    10.4.0 ubuntu server
  • What are you trying to achieve?
    metrics collected from windows server
  • How are you trying to achieve it?
    using influxdb windows plugin
  • What happened?
    i don’t find solution to monitor windows server with influxdb installed on ubunut server
  • What did you expect to happen?
    find solution for this problem
  • Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?
    no
  • Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.
    no
  • Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?
    no

Welcome @tonywanna98 to the Grafana forum.

You wrote:

Which plugin? Can you link to it?

Plugin : win_perf_count : Windows Performance Counters

Looks like this one.

@tonywanna98 Can you just share the part of the Telegraf conf related to your issue?
Are you collecting other data with your instance? Just to know if the problem is related to your win plugin or something else…

Regards

I’m using these two plugins, but they’re not working. Is there any solution to monitor a Windows server using Telegraf and InfluxDB installed on an Ubuntu server?

Hey

I would say:
A good workaround would be to configure a Telegraf instance on the Windows server you want to monitor instead of using a plugin to connect to your remote machine.

Do you mean that the Telegraf plugin you have configured is not sending any data to your base? Does your Telegraf instance send any other data to your base?
I see that you configured Host, Username and Password in your plugin, but I don’t see any credentials settings in the documentation of the plugin…
I saw something else wrong in your telegraf.conf. You are trying to use the pluginwin_vmi, but I think it’s win_wmidocumentation

Best regards

I have made the necessary modifications for win_wmi, but it doesn’t seem to be functioning properly on Ubuntu server. Regarding win_perf_counter, I’ve reviewed the documentation, but it appears that the Telegraf file is designed to be installed on a Windows server, which is not compatible with my setup. In my case, I aim to monitor a Windows server using Telegraf installed on an Ubuntu server.

Well, that’s what I was speaking about on my workaround…
I kinda had the same issue with some Promox servers and the easier and best solution have been to deploy Telegraf on the servers.
Can you explain why you really don’t want to deploy a Telegraf instance on your Windows server? Maybe we can find another workaround…

I will refrain from deploying Telegraf on the Windows server because I am uncertain about its potential impact. Additionally, since the Windows server I need to monitor belongs to the company, and they have not granted permission for installation on Windows

2 Likes

Well, since the Telegraf plugin seams to be working on the local machine and not from a remote server, you should try to use another instance to collect your Windows server data…
Maybe you could take a look at netxms or Prometheus?

The solution has to scale and br maintainable

Lets say you have 200 windows servers you want to monitor, installing telegraf on 200 of them does not scale and it is a maintainance nightmare

The centralized ubuntu server with telegraf does seem to scale beautifully but now how does it discover all servers in domain?

1 Like

I understand this complication, but that’s why Ansible exist haha.
I had to do this on my Proxmox infrastructure.

You have to carefully read the docu for this for example the setting for the servers you want to monitor

Example: Sources = [“localhost”, “SQL-SERVER-01”, “SQL-SERVER-02”, “SQL-SERVER-03”]

Yeah, sometimes you have a lot of constraints you have no control over. One might just have a can of beans and rice. In that case I cannot recommend steak and lobster solution :wink: got to work with what they have first

1 Like

One more question. Can we monitor a Windows Server if Telegraf is installed on another Windows Server?

1 Like