How to stop Grafana from pre-filling the default query when doing "Add Query"?

I have a dataset in PostgreSQL with time series from thousands of individual sources with each one sending metrics approximately 5 minutes. Individually per source it’s not much data, but collectively it’s a lot of data.

When I try to create a graph and press “Add Query”, Grafana prefills a default query that picks a single column and select all values from it without any filters other than time. Essentially it’s select foo from a_giant_table where <some time bounds>. This returns a lot of data.

Not only I select a large amount of data from my database, the browser grinds to a halt trying to render it, to the point where I can’t use it for minutes at a time. And whenever you try touch the query, it will re-render the graph, repeating the process again. I can’t even get to the point where I am able to add a filter where source_id = $my_source_var.

So the question is, how can I stop Grafana from doing creating the default query when pressing “Add Query”? I want to start from a blank query and not render it until I add the filter. Or at least disable interactive rendering somehow.