Heatmap using Prometheus Histogram?

I’m loving the new Histogram panel, and it works beautifully with raw data from InfluxDB. I’m starting to look into the Prometheus Histogram datatype, and it seems this could be a good fit for the “pre-bucketed data” option in the Histogram panel.

I’m not sure how I can structure my Prometheus query to satisfy this requirement though:

> Each time series already represents a Y-Axis bucket. The time series name (alias) needs to be a numeric value representing the upper interval for the bucket. Grafana does no bucketing so the bucket size options are hidden.

Any suggestions?

yea, it does not work with Prometheus yet

Is the same true for the Heatmap?

@hdost A lot has changed in the last 6 years since this was posted. Heatmap and histogram panels will work with Prometheus now. You can see How to visualize Prometheus histograms in Grafana | Grafana Labs or Histograms and heatmaps | Grafana documentation for more info.

So interestingly enough i was actually using those, trying to build a basic panel to help an internal user, and despite my best efforts I always came out with something where the Heatmap showed the le buckets out of order. And for the histogram panel would show count or values rather than the actual histograms.