Grafana Postgres and Docker Database issues

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?

I have a kubernetes deployment based on: grafana/grafana:9.0.2-ubuntu

• What are you trying to achieve?

Issues doing a new installation using a postgres database.

• How are you trying to achieve it?

I have defined the following variables:

GF_DATABASE_TYPE=postgres
GF_DATABASE_NAME=dashboard
GF_DATABASE_PASSWORD=FD38,eUGUhVX|iJ|0E<{cEIO ##staging so whatever you get an idea of the character set
GF_DATABASE_HOST=dashboard-v5-2-0-ha.postgres-operator.svc.cluster.local
GF_DATABASE_USER=dbadmin

• What happened?

Fails to start with the following error:

INFO [10-04|17:08:01] Path Plugins                             logger=settings path=/var/lib/grafana/plugins
INFO [10-04|17:08:01] Path Provisioning                        logger=settings path=/etc/grafana/provisioning
INFO [10-04|17:08:01] App mode production                      logger=settings
INFO [10-04|17:08:01] Connecting to DB                         logger=sqlstore dbtype=postgres
ERROR[10-04|17:08:01] alert migration failure: could not get migration log logger=migrator error="failed to check table existence: pq: no pg_hba.conf entry for host \"10.116.0.26\", user \"dbadmin\", database \"dashboard\", no encryption"

note, I additionally install a postgres-client. The following works without any problems:

psql -U $GF_DATABASE_USER -h $GF_DATABASE_HOST -d $GF_DATABASE_NAME

• What did you expect to happen?

A valid DB connection and a fresh grafana installation to succeed.

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?
GF_AUTH_GOOGLE_ALLOW_SIGN_UP=true
GF_AUTH_GOOGLE_ENABLED=true
GF_AUTH_GOOGLE_AUTH_URL=https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/auth
GF_AUTH_GOOGLE_SCOPES=https://www.googleapis.com/auth/userinfo.profile https://www.googleapis.com/auth/userinfo.email
GF_AUTH_OAUTH_AUTO_LOGIN=true
GF_AUTH_GOOGLE_CLIENT_ID=****
GF_LOG_CONSOLE_LEVEL=debug
GF_DATABASE_TYPE=postgres
GF_LOG_LEVEL=debug
GF_USERS_DEFAULT_THEME=light
GF_PATHS_HOME=/usr/share/grafana
GF_AUTH_GOOGLE_TOKEN_URL=https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/token
GF_USERS_AUTO_ASSIGN_ORG_ROLE=Editor
GF_SERVER_SERVE_FROM_SUB_PATH=false
GF_PANELS_DISABLE_SANITIZE_HTML=true
GF_AUTH_GOOGLE_ALLOWED_DOMAINS=es.net lbl.gov
GF_PATHS_PROVISIONING=/etc/grafana/provisioning
GF_DATABASE_NAME=dashboard
GF_DATABASE_PASSWORD=FD38,eUGUhVX|iJ|0E<{cEIO
GF_AUTH_GOOGLE_CLIENT_SECRET=****
GF_PATHS_DATA=/var/lib/grafana
GF_DATABASE_HOST=dashboard-v5-2-0-ha.postgres-operator.svc.cluster.local
GF_INSTALL_PLUGINS=grafana-worldmap-panel,agenty-flowcharting-panel,grafana-googlesheets-datasource,grafana-polystat-panel,redis-datasource,vonage-status-panel,flant-statusmap-panel,gretamosa-topology-panel,gowee-traceroutemap-panel,pr0ps-trackmap-panel,aceiot-svg-panel,marcuscalidus-svg-panel,marcusolsson-hourly-heatmap-panel,netsage-sankey-panel,marcusolsson-treemap-panel,netsage-slopegraph-panel
GF_PATHS_LOGS=/var/log/grafana
GF_PLUGINS_ALLOW_LOADING_UNSIGNED_PLUGINS=netsage-bumpchart-panel,esnet-matrix-panel,esnet-chord-panel,esnet-networkmap-panel,netsage-migrationmap
GF_SERVER_ROOT_URL=https://%(domain)s/
GF_DATABASE_USER=dbadmin
GF_SERVER_DOMAIN=***
GF_PATHS_PLUGINS=/var/lib/grafana/plugins
GF_PATHS_CONFIG=/etc/grafana/grafana.ini
  • Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.

UI won’t load.

• Final Notes

I tried setting GF_DATABASE_HOST to include the port number aka host:5432 and exclude it and it has the same behavior. Is there some special flag that needs to be passed in order to bootstrap the database ? Maybe something changed since the last time I went through this procedure with a fresh install.

Any help would be appreciated, but seeing as a valid DB connection can be established from the container to the database the issue shouldn’t be anything with kubernetes or services and something with the grafana configuration.

What am I missing?

1 Like

bump. Any ideas? Or how would I get more verbose logging in the docker containers?

Hi @csgeek3674,

Welcome to the :grafana: community support forums !!

I do not have much experience in the K8s world as still learning it but I would like to help as understand the basics.

Here, it does seem like an issue with the ENV VAR for Postgres. I found this article which seems to be also using Postgres for Grafana and maybe try to set up the ENV VAR and then the service YAML file. Maybe this might help…? :slight_smile:

Let us know the result.

Thanks

Hi @csgeek3674,

Welcome to the :grafana: community support forums !!

I do not have much experience in the K8s world as still learning it but I would like to help as understand the basics.

Here, it does seem like an issue with the ENV VAR for Postgres. I found this article which seems to be also using Postgres for Grafana and maybe try to set up the ENV VAR and then the service YAML file. Maybe this might help…? :slight_smile:

Let us know the result.

Thanks

I apologize, I should have updated this post. It turned out that my postgres installation was using TLS, so I simply needed to update the configuration accordingly. I had to add GF_DATABASE_SSL_MODE=required and it started working beautifully. :slight_smile:

2 Likes