Error after adding Azure monitor Data Source

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    open-source version deployed in a kubernetes cluster with prometheus
  • What are you trying to achieve?
    I want to add Azure monitor as a data resource
  • How are you trying to achieve it?
    I’ve created an app registration in Azure and assigned the Azure monitoring and Reader role to it
  • What happened?
    When I fill in my Azure credentials in Grafana it can find my Azure subscription and gives a green light. But when I open a dashboard this appears:

Error updating options: The client ‘’ with object id '’ does not have authorization to perform action ‘microsoft.insights/metricNamespaces/read’ over scope ‘/subscriptions//resourceGroups/;/providers/microsoft.insights’ or the scope is invalid. If access was recently granted, please refresh your credentials.

• What did you expect to happen?
    That I would be able to see my Azure metrics in the dashboard

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.

Error updating options: The client ‘’ with object id '’ does not have authorization to perform action ‘microsoft.insights/metricNamespaces/read’ over scope ‘/subscriptions//resourceGroups/;/providers/microsoft.insights’ or the scope is invalid. If access was recently granted, please refresh your credentials.

• Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?

https://www.cognizantsoftvision.com/blog/how-to-integrate-azure-monitor-with-grafana/

In other articles I saw that you need to add the Reader role to Grafana in order to solve this, but this didn’t help for me.

My bad, I figured it out. I needed to assign the Reader role on the subscription level and not only on resource group level. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

1 Like

Thanks, I was actually running into the same issue and you unstuck me.

I’ve been stuck for days on this. Thank you!

This also helped me.
Is this behaviour by design?

We have a subscription where grafana don’t have (read-)access to all resources.
It works fine with Logs and Azure Resource Graph, just not for metrics