Why cannot I make a dashboard public? What are template variables?

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    v10.2.3 MacOS Sonoma 14.2.1

• What are you trying to achieve?
    Make a dashboard public.

• How are you trying to achieve it?

• What happened?
    A letter appeared saying the dashboard has template variables on it.

• What did you expect to happen?

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?

This is the only template variable I set:

Then, I had interpolated variable values within queries, such as:

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.

• Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?

who created this dashboard?

I did! Please, notice that I have just edited the post to include more information on the issue.

is that variable used? what is it’s purpose?

Yes, it is. The idea is to set it to the same value as another variable. I tried deleting it and still couldn’t make the dashboard public for the same reason.

maybe you deleted but did not save. anyways might want to check the following if you have not already

1 Like

Any idea on what are “template variables”?

Template variables are variables that are used in Templates (saved queries with variables). See documentation Variables | Grafana documentation

1 Like

I have a dashboard with many variable dropdown menus and full of queries like this (using an Infinity data source): [GET] /controller/rest/applications/${appName}/metric-data?metric-path=Business%20Transaction%20Performance%7CBusiness%20Transactions%7C${tier_A}%7C${bt_A}%7CErrors%20per%20Minute&time-range-type=BETWEEN_TIMES&start-time=${__from}&end-time=${__to}&output=JSON&rollup=false.
Is there any chance of converting this kind of dashboard (and its panels) into something I can then publish?
Each of the variables contains several values that come from HTTP requests; so do the panel queries. That’s why I implemented template variables.