[unified_alerts] Granfana 8 - Notification Policies based on Prometheus Alerts

Is it possible to get notified based on Prometheus alerts?

We have a Prometheus configured with some alerts, and we have Grafana [v8.2.5 (b57a137acd)] with the new alerting (unified_alert) enabled.
After adding the Prometheus datasource, we can see the alerts in the Alert dashboard. We also configure the contact point and the notification policies based on this alerts, but we are never notified based on the Prometheus alerts (if we create the alert manually, everything works as it should).

So my question is: is it possible to get notified based on the Prometheus alerts (out-of-the-box) or only if I create the alert manually?

Thank you very much in advance.

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?

Grafana v8.2.5 (b57a137acd), running the Docker image at grafana/grafana.

• What are you trying to achieve?

I’m trying to get notified based on Prometheus alerts

• How are you trying to achieve it?

By adding the Prometheus data source, I can see all the alerts in the the Alert dashboard, however the notification policy is not triggered when there is a matching alert.
Everything works as supposed when creating the alert manually.

• What happened?
    Notification policies are not triggered based on Prometheus alerts.

• What did you expect to happen?
    I expect to not need to recreate the alerts if Prometheus already provide it to Grafana and to get notified if the notification policy matches the alert.

• Can you copy/paste the configuration(s) that you are having problems with?

Which configuration would be interesting?

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.

No errors in the Grafana UI.

• Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?
1 Like

Hi, do you have any news on this matter? Did you find a workaround? I am having the exact same issue.

Nothing so far, I’ve also pinged the community and the dev team in the slack channel, but nothing so far.
We haven’t found a solution yet.

I ended up going with AlertManager on its own. Too bad this use case is not supported. I will check again in a few releases.

Hi - is there any issue posted on this, on the github tracker?

I doubt they track issues on here :wink:

Hi, is there any update for this?
github maybe?