Unable to connect aws graphana to localhost mysql workbench

Hi! I’m new to graphana.

I’m trying to connect “AWS graphana(graphana running on AWS)” with localhost system “MySQL database”. But i get an error while trying to do so. It says “db query error: failed to connect to server - please inspect Grafana server log for details”.I have tried multiple methods to get of this error but failed to get rid of so.

However, communication with graphana(running on local database) with MySQL workbench(running on local database) is working flawlessly.

If i try to repeat the process by typing my system ip address instead of local host, error i get => “504 Gateway time out”

I even turned-off my firewall, to look for any issue, but still getting the same error

ANy help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome @shubham1719

Is AWS Grafana able to connect with ANY of your locally hosted data sources? My gut feeling is that the AWS security rules entailed in your AWS instance must be modified to see your local LAN system.

Aws or any other external system has no idea/clue about your localhost

Localhost is exactly as thr name implies local to the originating system. This is fundamental nerworking you should read up on.

2nd even if you use your ip.address it has to be exposed to the public, have you done so?

Your question is more networking than a grafana issue

@grant2 @yosiasz

Is AWS Grafana able to connect with ANY of your locally hosted data sources?
=>No, it is not able to connect with any databases whether the database is hosted on my PC or whether the database is hosted on the web. In both cases, the error i got is “504 gateway timeout”.

My gut feeling is that the AWS security rules entailed in your AWS instance must be modified to see your local LAN system.?
=>I too am feeling the same i.e, it is do more with AWS. But the thing is, with respect to ‘AWS graphana’ i did not find any security rules(AWS not provided this feature). I am attaching the image for the same.

regards to yosiasz question,2nd even if you use your ip.address it has to be exposed to the public, have you done so?
=> Yes i have exposed it to public, as you can see at bottom of attached image.

Your question is more networking than a grafana issue?
=>I agree. But if you can tell where do i need to change the setting because for me, i have tried changing some settings but thing still didn’t worked for me.

If you can guide me further, it will be helpful

Since you pay for AWS Grafana, I believe you receive free support via email. Maybe try sending them a question specific to your use case.