Show more than 100 tags

Hello,

I am looking for a way to increase the limit of 100 tags displayed in the tags drop-down menu under “Add Annotation”. I want that every tag that we created by adding annotations is shown in the drop-down menu. We use the „Annotations & Alerts (Built-in)“.
Unfortunately, only the first 100 tags in alphabetical order of approximately 140 tags that we have created so far can be chosen in the drop-down menu, if one types in the first letters.

I am using Grafana 8.5.5, but it is the same with 9.3.6 (Demo Dashboards)

My internet research led me to the following URLs (was not allowed to add more than this URL)

and showed me that that in the worst case it is hard-coded not to slow down the display of the tags - if I have understood it correctly. However, I did not find a solution.

Does anyone have an idea how I can make it show more than 100 tags when I make an annotation?

If you want to check it yourself, in the demo dashboard
https://play.grafana.org/d/000000012/grafana-play-home?orgId=1
you can see that the last entry drops out of the list, if you add a tag that is listed above and is not suggested any more even if you type in the first letters of the “lost” tag.

Hi @petrovskonek,

Welcome to the :grafana: community support forums !!

We are excited that you joined our OSS community. Please read about some of the FAQs in the community :slight_smile:

I do not know the maximum limit of the annotation tags but can check it out.

The link to the demo dashboard seems to be not correct as clicking it takes me directly to the home page (or maybe I cannot found exactly what you described)

Could you please maybe share the link to a particular dashboard (or share some screenshots)?

Thanks

Hi @usman.ahmad.

many thanks for the quick answer. To be more precise:

If I scroll down the drop-down menu of the tags in the given Dashboard, I get as last tag “#tocheck” (screenshot on the left) and if I add as next tag, the tag “#to”, because that comes just before it in the alphabetical order and save this tag (screenshot on the right)

for the next annotation, the last tag in the drop-down menu that is displayed is “#to” (screenshot on the left). Even if I type in the first letters “#to”, “#tocheck” is not suggested any more (screenshot on the right)

In this case the tags are short, but in our case, we have long tags that we need to type in which is unfortunately a bit annoying and time-consuming. Thus, it would be nice, if more tags than the first 100 in alphabetical order were suggested when typing in the first letters of a tag.

I hope the screenshots make our problem and question clearer, although I used the Demo Dashboard and not our own Dashboard.

Sorry for the delay on this one :pray: as totally forgot about it.

I went through your defined use case on play.grafana.com and it seems that this is now fixed as after adding “#to” tag and then adding a new annotation and searching only using 2 characters e.g. “#t” or “to” the #totest also appear in the search.

I’m sorry, but “#totest” no longer appears in the search when I type “to” or “#t”. So I can’t see that this has been fixed in the meantime.

Since the 100th comment tag appears in alphabetical order (first character of the string) but the 101st comment tag does not, and this changes when a user adds a new comment tag, we’d better try “zzzz”.

I added the comment tag “zzzz” but it never appears in the search when typing “z”.

I’m curious if “zzzz” shows up when you type “z”.

Hi @petrovskonek,

You are right. For me even with the newer version 9.5 does not show my suggestions for the tags I entered.

We would appreciate it if you can open a bug report about this in our official GitHub repository using this link.

Provide all the information (you can simply copy/paste your data + screenshot from here to there).

Lastly, paste the link to your GitHub issue here in this post so that all other community users can also track it. I will also add more additional information to it :+1:

Hi @usman.ahmad,

thanks. I opened a bug report in GitHub with copied data from here:

Thanks for creating it !!

Yep, I just saw it and triage it :slight_smile: