Refresh Live dashboards

Hi. I’m using self hosted Grafana v9.4.7 in an Oracle VM running Ubuntu v20.04, and just setting up my first dashboard…
I’m trying to get my graph to display real-time data so I’ve set ‘Refresh live dashboards’ in the dashboard config -

refresh

…and have the following flux query -

from(bucket: "oracle metrics")
  |> range(start: v.timeRangeStart, stop:v.timeRangeStop)
  |> filter(fn: (r) =>
    r._measurement == "cpu" and
    r._field == "usage_user"
  )

…but, although the graph moves along the timeframe as expected, the data is not updated unless I refresh the dashboard.

oracle-login-video

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @rossoreed

Try turning OFF that toggle switch and then make sure the refresh rate in the upper corner (which applies to all panels) has a refresh rate of 5s

Note that (assuming the above works) the data is not truly ‘live’ because, well, 5s refresh is the best that Grafana offers. I recognize your name from the Node-RED forum, so if you are using Node-RED, and if you want truly “live” (or close to live streaming), you could store the data in InfluxDB and stream it to a Grafana panel using the MQTT datasource.

1 Like

Haha, it must be easy when you know how :grin:
Yes, that does the trick, thanks.

Yes, that is the plan. I’m trying to avoid reading & writing to the SD card in my local Raspberry Pi, and instead, I’m going to send it all to the Oracle VM cloud server, process the data, and display my dashboards from there.

Thanks for the help.