[question] ability to predict when an influxdb metric will hit 0?

I’ve tried asking in the influxdb forums but haven’t received a response yet, so maybe the grafana community knows the answer. I’m wondering if there is a way to forcast/predict when a value will hit zero over time? In particular, I’m interested in forcasting disk usage, or more specifically, disk space free. I looked at the documentation on holt-winters forcasting, but I can’t seem to make that work. Basically I want to generate a graph that will show when disk-space free will hit zero, using the existing data already recorded (disk used, in bytes). Is holt winters suitable for this? or is there a different function available to accomplish this? Or is it not possible at all?

Thanks!

Just an opinion, but I don’t think forecasting disk usage is very useful. Disk usage is not a recurring seasonal pattern which would suit holt-winters forecasting. You are much better of keeping your alerts simple and alerting on thresholds (e.g. 15% or 10% free).

This answer explains it pretty well:

Hi,

it’s been some time ever since you asked. So I don’t know if this is still on your todo.
Take a look here: Someone asked the same question a few days ago. I took the liberty to point to an article I stumbled upon:

André