Migrate from Grafana 2 to 4

Hello,
I have to migrate directly from grafana2 to grafana4.

I tried once in my local instance and all the dashboards were lost. I used the grafana.db present in grafana2, but still it didnt work.

I cannot directly migrate by the procedure mentioned here since i have done a lot of UI changes on Grafana2.

Please help, i am new to grafana and still learning.

We are not aware of any issues relating to upgrading, no reports of data loss or failed upgrades. So far everyone has managed to upgrade that we know of.

After upgrade, restart grafana-server and it should work. Might be good to install 2.6, then 3.1 then 4.1 but that should not be needed but to be safe I would suggest that.

I tried once in my local instance and all the dashboards were lost. I used the grafana.db present in grafana2, but still it didnt work.

Did you inspect the grafana.db ? you cannot change this file after upgrade, grafana after the restart after the upgrade will upgrade the schema. But no dashboards are lost in the schema upgrade. That should not be possible unless the whole database is corrupted but it sounds like after the upgrade you got a new database, where everything lost? or did your user preferences still remain? Verify the location of the database in your previous install, have you specified a custom location for the database?

Hello,
Thanks for the response.

I was able to generate all the existing dashboards by copying the grafana.db already present in the server. :slight_smile:
But i like to learn more about grafana. The docs is’nt detailed enough for beginners. Can you please point me to any other resource you have.

Also there are a lot of mathematical functions that can be used in the graphs, a detailed explanation of these functions will also help me. :slight_smile:

With Best regards,
Kiran