How to upgrade Grafana from 5.4.3 to 8.4.7?

Hi Team,

My current Grafana instance is running on 5.4.3 on Redhat 7.7 and I would like to know pre-requisites and steps to upgrade to 8.4.7. Some of my questions are listed below.

1. Do we need to follow an upgrade path (sequential upgrade) to get to 8.4.7? if yes what is the sequence we need to follow.

2. Are there any dependencies with respect to Database?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Kapil

I just recently went through this and I didn’t find any truly authoritative sequence. Best I found was that a change of 1 major version difference is supported. I went to latest 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x. The Upgrading section of Installation doc is the best source of info. I wish I had kept the notes I made, but they never got committed.

It doesn’t specifically mention which steps have db migrations or schema changes. I can tell you that startup on some of the updates did take noticeably longer and mentioned migrations in the logs.

If you are running on Docker, be careful that the latest tag actually gets you 9.0.0 beta2. I ended up on this version due to mistakenly omitting a specific version on my last step.