Grafana wont boot anymore (due to Node.js update?)

Hi all,
I have run an update on my Iobroker which (as far as I can remember) only did an update of nodejs (to version 14.19.1).
Now my Grafana is not working anymore (browser cant access pages).

“sudo service grafana-server status” shows:

grafana-server.service - Grafana instance
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/grafana-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2022-04-26 22:53:59 CEST; 18min ago
Docs: http://docs.grafana.org
Main PID: 2201 (code=exited, status=2)
CPU: 314ms

Apr 26 22:53:59 raspberrypi systemd[1]: grafana-server.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Apr 26 22:53:59 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped Grafana instance.
Apr 26 22:53:59 raspberrypi systemd[1]: grafana-server.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Apr 26 22:53:59 raspberrypi systemd[1]: grafana-server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 26 22:53:59 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Grafana instance.

Installed Grafana version is 8.5.0. Im not sure this has anything to do with the nodejs update or not.
Both IObroker and Grafana runs on the same Rpi 4b with 8GB ram.
All ready tried to re-install Grafana again but that gave me the message that is already had the lastest version.

I have no clue how to fix this. Can somebody provide me some tips or commands to collect additional information?

Well here it says node

"engines": {
    "node": ">= 16"
  }

not sure if that is the real deal node version?

So you suggest that the node js version is even to low? I assumed that when did an update it would bring me the latest version. An update of the packages from my rpi didn’t reveal any available update?

Ok, Ive managed to update node js to version 16. If I run command node -v and nodejs -v it both shows V16.14.2. Still at running “sudo service grafana-server status” I see (mostly) the same error:

grafana-server.service - Grafana instance
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/grafana-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2022-04-27 10:15:23 CEST; 11min ago
Docs: http://docs.grafana.org
Process: 1120 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/grafana-server --config=${CONF_FILE} --pidfile=${PID_FILE_DIR}/grafana-server.pid --packaging=deb cfg:default.paths.logs=${LOG_DIR} cfg:default.paths.data=${DATA_DIR} cfg:default.paths.plugins=${PLUGINS_DIR} cfg:default.paths.provisioning=${PROVISIONING_CFG_DIR} (code=exited, status=2)
Main PID: 1120 (code=exited, status=2)
CPU: 279ms

Apr 27 10:15:23 raspberrypi systemd[1]: grafana-server.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=2/INVALIDARGUMENT
Apr 27 10:15:23 raspberrypi systemd[1]: grafana-server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 27 10:15:23 raspberrypi systemd[1]: grafana-server.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Apr 27 10:15:23 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped Grafana instance.
Apr 27 10:15:23 raspberrypi systemd[1]: grafana-server.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Apr 27 10:15:23 raspberrypi systemd[1]: grafana-server.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 27 10:15:23 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Grafana instance.

So this didn’t made any difference. Any help is appreciated.

Wonder if this is your issue? One commentthere says

Reverted to 8.4.7 and it is just fine.

Hi Josiasz, I don’t use Openhab so not the same. Thanks for the tip anyway

No I was trying to point out the version of grafana issue

Reverted to 8.4.7 and it is just fine

Hi Josiasz, sorry I didn’t understand it the first time. Checked the history log when Grafana was updated last time with “vi /var/log/apt/history.log” and it was updated to 8.5.0 about 2 days ago. I managed to roll back to version 8.4.7 with “sudo apt-get install grafana=8.4.7” and now it works again! Thanks for helping me out!

1 Like