Grafana settings for disabling dashboard import from UI

Hi, We want to disable loading new dashboards using url from Grafana UI. is there is any setting available for this?
Vamsi

Hi @vgude, welcome to the community!

Can you share more about this use case and which users you want to have this restriction?

There’s not a Grafana setting to disable importing dashboards. But, you could assign a viewer role to some users. A user with the viewer role can’t add dashboards.

Related docs:

@melori.arellano, Thanks for the reply. We are deploying grafana in kubernetes. During grafana startup, we are importing dashboards. We dont want users to import/create any new dashboards.

We didnt created any users in grafana (only default admin account will be there in grafana) and we disabled login form as well.
I tried to test by enabling anonymous auth with viewer role for Main org. But still i was able to import new dashboards. Was there anything else i can try?
Thanks in advance.
Vamsi

Hi @vgude, that should work. I tested the steps myself, can you share a screenshot of where you are seeing the option to import a dashboard in the UI while unauthenticated?

We use anonymous access with the setting viewers_can_edit on https://play.grafana.org. It allows users to edit/inspect a dashboard, but they can’t save it.

@melori.arellano please find attached screenshot.

And below are the settings from grafana.ini file:
[auth]
disable_login_form = true

[auth.anonymous]
enabled = true
org_name = Main Org.
org_role = Viewer

Those settings look right, but the screenshot shows menu icons that aren’t usually enabled for Viewer (the config gear). It makes me wonder if the org_role could be set somewhere else in your deployment config.

If you log in to grafana as admin, you can go to Server Admin (shield icon) > Settings and should see the settings in effect.

1 Like