Grafana and Nagios Integration

Hello Geeks,

I have few queries but before that, I would like to explain my environment.

There would be overall 300 NagiosXI(Latest version with maria DB) servers. (High Availability 150 primary and 150 Secondary) servers and approximately 30-40 concurrent users who will be logged into Grafana for their respective Dashboard.

1. What will be the best architecture for this scenario?

2. As I see Grafana is an open source, so is there any cost for a product or only for Support.

3. Sqlite3 is Database used for user dashboard and login purpose, Graphite is a time series database which makes easy to store and graph metrics. so, Can Graphite take data from 150 Nagiosxi server’s as a data sources and store in graphite and populate on the Grafana dashboard.

4. Or else, can we have a centralized database server where all 150 Nagios xi maria DB will point to centralized DB server and from there graphite can pull data and populate on Dashboard?

5. What will be the Hardware requirement for this huge environment?

Thank for your support in advance.

1. Use 2 Grafana servers behind one load balancer, use MySQL for Grafana’s main DB (and session store)

2. Yes, free and open source, you pay for support and access to premium plugins.

3. Don’t use sqlite3 for large setups, use MySQL. Graphite can scale to any number of servers, google scaling graphite for articles.

4. You push data to graphite from your servers (using a collector like collectD)

5. Hard to say, for Grafana the load will be light, as most of the work will be done on the Graphite servers

Thank you for quick reply…

Please find my new query below…Waiting for your reply.

1. Use 2 Grafana servers behind one load balancer, use MySQL for Grafana’s
    main DB (and session store)

2. Yes, free and open source, you pay for support and access to premium
    plugins.

3. Don’t use sqlite3 for large setups, use MySQL. Graphite can scale to any
    number of servers, google scaling graphite for articles.

4. You push data to graphite from your servers (using a collector like
    collectD)

==> So you mean to say I have to install collecD in NagiosXI servers and it
will pull the data from NagiosXI servers and send to graphite.

1. Hard to say, for Grafana the load will be light, as most of the work
    will be done on the Graphite serversBy

==>Correct me if I am wrong, As you said, the load will be on Graphite
server and not on Grafana. Which means Grafana server and Graphite servers
are different?

They don’t need to different servers, but Grafana and Graphite are different open source projects, Graphite is a time series database, Grafana is a time series visualization and monitoring tool able to read data from Graphite and other sources

Hey Torkol,

Can we have a small conversation on phone or WhatsApp . As we are looking for a huge environment. We need to understand whether Grafana is capable of handling such huge environment and what architecture need to use.
Please find my number beloww

Yes, Grafana can handle it. But you need a large time series database setup, if you sign up for grafana support we can help you https://grafana.com/services/support we also provide hosted metrics service

Hi All,

Please tell me…How Nagios integrate with Grafana?

Regards,
admton

Nagios > collectD > Graphite > Grafana