Extending WorldMap plugin

Hi,
I am quite new to Grafana, but it seems like a powerful tool.
I have connected the WorldMap with my data in PostgreSql with success.
We are in the beginning phase of evaluating what system to use for our metric data and one of my concerns is the flexibility of the map i Grafana.

With my limited knowledge of building/extending plugins I expected to find a grunt file in github, but none exists.
How do I build what I have extended the WorldMap with to test it?

Thanks,
Helge

the worldmap plugin is using webpack and yarn, take a look at the package.json file in the section “scripts”.

you’ll need to do a “yarn install” (to install packages into node_modules" and “yarn build” to build the plugin.
“yarn dev” can be used to have it recompile when you make changes.
“yarn test” for jest-based testing.

Here’s what is in the package.json

"scripts": {
    "build": "node --max-old-space-size=8192 ./node_modules/.bin/webpack --config webpack.config.prod.js",
    "dev": "webpack --mode development",
    "watch": "webpack --mode development --watch",
    "test": "jest --config jest.config.js"
  },

Thanks, as you understand I am pretty new to this.

I have been able to modify the Worldmap panel, rebuild it, build a new docker image with this new plugin and run the docker image. The new plugin I get is my plugin - Great!

-helge

Hi gkgann,

I dont get yarn to work. When doing yarn install it complains about not finding an install directory or file.
I actually used npm install and npm build - that seemed to work.

Whould I stay with npm or try to get yarn to work?

-helge

yarn would be the best way, though npm will work also. the plugins include yarn.lock files that give exact versions needed.

Dear Helge,

you might be successful with the Worldmap fork we are maintaining at GitHub - panodata/panodata-map-panel: Map Panel for Grafana with improved convenience, robustness and features. Friendly fork of the original Grafana Worldmap Panel. Currently not maintained, but verified to work up to Grafana 9.. We just published version 0.15.0 including many improvements from the community and our own pen.

With kind regards,
Andreas.