Data-link click to change a variable on current dashboard

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    Windows 10 - grafana 9.5.1

• What are you trying to achieve?
    Changing a variable from a data-link so clicking on the link will update the page without reloading it completely.

• How are you trying to achieve it?
    Tried various self-referencing URL in the data-link.
    Tried also to use javascript: so I could try to trigger a variable change on the page but it doesn’t work (the “javascript”: protocol in the URL is rewritten as “about:blank”)

• What did you expect to happen?
    Change a dashboard variable.

• Did you receive any errors in the Grafana UI or in related logs? If so, please tell us exactly what they were.
    none.

• Did you follow any online instructions? If so, what is the URL?
    not found anything relevant.

So I’m trying to basically have a master/detail relationship between panels on the same dashboard: a list of orders (in a table) can have its rows clicked to look at the content of the (another table).
I created a dashboard variable $document that I want to change when a particular document link is clicked.
Grafana seems to be built on setting the variable to load a new page, but it seems to be missing a way to just set a dashboard variable without reloading the whole page to set it.

Alternatively, allowing the javascript: protocol in the URL of the data link may allow this behaviour by calling the same code that handled change in variables on the page.
But that seems impossible at the moment.

Or am I missing something ?