Alert off of variables?

Has anyone figured out a workaround or something that can be done for Grafana to alert off of variables? We’re wanting to roll this out Enterprise wide with about 200,000 servers being monitored but not having the capability to alert on something as simple as a variable is a non-starter for us when competing solutions offer it. We love the other features of Grafana but require this capability.

1 Like

Hi,

Can you explain your need in detail so we can help ?

Good Luck

Grafana needs the capability to alert off of variables being used in the template. for example if I have a dashboard template variable that lets me choose between various servers and I use that variable in my query I can no longer alert off of that query or panel. That is a huge loss for Grafana in the enterprise as all of their competitors have that feature. The only way we can do alerts is if we create static queries which is a non-starter when you have 100+ servers per dashboard to choose from.

Hi,

There is some discussion on implementing this, please check this thread :

It have some links on why it is difficult to implement.

Hope it helps.

Good Luck

That’s the problem, it’s not difficult to implement. I know that they have a robust alerting system inside of Grafana cloud, could it be that they are afraid it would encroach on a piece of their commercial offering?

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.