Use internal proxy from panel plugin

As far as I know it’s not possible to use internal grafana proxy from panel plugins. This would be really nice feature allowing to access web services which are “live data” sources - the data that doesn’t feet into grafana datasource model like incidents open in tracking service, status of builds etc. which would be nice to present on grafana dashboard just based on JSON returned from external service.

Currently main issue with that is CORS, when the 2nd service is not under our full control. I’ve ended up with configuring my own nginx proxy for those cases, but it’s of course much more difficult for someone willing to use the plugin than click & go model…

1 Like

The usual way to do this is to create a data source. There are loads of data sources that are wrappers around API’s (Azure Monitor, Cloudwatch, Google Calendar, ntop etc.)

There is a plugin called Simple JSON data source that is used by lots of companies as an easy way to do custom integrations of internal systems. You just have to write a proxy (in any language you want) that exposes 2 endpoints that wraps the API you want to show data from in Grafana.

For example, I just started writing a proxy api for Discourse to show stats about this site in Grafana using.the Simple Json data source.

yeah! This really sounds like solution :slight_smile: I’ve been looking for. Thanks!