Upgrade Grafana from 5.2.2 to latest

• What Grafana version and what operating system are you using?
    5.2.2 . I believe it’s installed in AWS but not through AWS

• What are you trying to achieve?
    We want to upgrade to latest version of Grafana (version 9 I believe ?)

• How are you trying to achieve it?
    We are trying to figure out how to do that upgrade. I know it is non trivial. We have just located the prometheus instance that is used as a data source… (not sure if that is relevant)

Thanx for the help in advance !

How complicated are your dashboards in 5.2.2? It may well be worth it to

1. copy your Prom queries and maybe screenshot of your graphs (to get the settings, etc.) and paste to a Word document or something. Also record your datasource settings in case you need to refer to them.
  2. do a fresh install of Grafana 9.2 (in the AWS instance or wherever you intend to install it)
  3. rebuild your dashboards using the queries & settings recorded in step 1

If you are going to install Grafana 9.2 on a new machine or instance, you can even have both Grafana 5.2.2 and 9.2 pointing to the same Prometheus datasource at the same time and can view the dashboard side-by-side to assist in the recreation effort.

:greetHi @icepac,

Welcome to the :grafana: community support forums !!

As @grant2 already posted a nice way to use your current Prometheus queries without moving anything too much complicated.

Later, once you feel that you need to move entirely to the new machine then please have a look at this post as there are some really good posts by users regarding the upgrade of Grafana as how to do it in different environments.