${HOSTNAME} is not being resolved when defined as external label in Grafana agent configuration for logs

Hi,

I have installed the Grafana Agent in static mode in a linux machine and was configured for both metrics and logs monitoring. For logs monitoring, the following configuration is being used.

logs:
  global:
    clients:
      - url: 'http://<loki_ip>:3100/loki/api/v1/push'
        external_labels:
          hostname: ${HOSTNAME}

configs:
  - name: default
    positions:
      filename: /tmp/positions.yaml
    scrape_configs:
      - job_name: monitor_var_logs
        static_configs:
          - targets: [localhost]
            labels:
              job: var_logs
              __path__: /var/log/*log
      - job_name: monitor_messages
        static_configs:
          - targets: [localhost]
            labels:
              job: messages
              __path__: /var/log/messages

I am not interested in hardcoding the hostname of the server as external label in Grafana Agent Configuration so I have added an external label with key value pair as mentioned for hostname.

The ${HOSTNAME} should reflect with the actual hostname of the server in Grafana Loki. However, it is displaying the same way (${HOSTNAME}) in Grafana Loki which is the same as in the Grafana Agent Configuration file. When I execute the bash command with the same echo ${HOSTNAME} , I can see the hostname of the server.

In addition, I did tried with multiple predefined OS variables like $(hostname), $HOSTNAME, $(HOSTNAME), hostname but nothing seems to be working. There are multiple servers I need to do the same configuration once this issue is fixed.

Can anyone help me to fix this issue ?

What if you tried

$(HOSTNAME)

Displaying the same variable $(HOSTNAME) in grafana loki.

{"status":"success","data":["$(HOSTNAME)"]}
1 Like

Could you please let me know if there is any update on this issue ?

Could you please let me know if there is any update on this topic?

Could you please let me know if there is any update on this topic?