Hints about how to organize data - noob question

Hi all, i’m just starting to use grafana in complex enviroment. I’ve used grafana a lot but in simple use cases where the goal was show data in a very effective way but the data themself was simple timeseries.

Data will be stored in influxdb 2 and dashboard in grafana.

I kindly ask this community for some “starting hints” such as tutorial, articles, ecc. about how to organize the data.

We will collect various data from a lot of device (nodes) and store them into a influxdb 2 database.

My doubts are related to:
A node have an id and additional information such as “description”, geo coordinates, and so on. What’s the “best” way to store this additional info ?
Or is it possible/suggested to store in a auxiliary db (eg:postgres, mysql) and then “join” them whith the data creating the dashbaords ?

Thanks a lot

Welcome @fulvio

Which of the stacks you listed are new to you and which ones are you familiar with?

I’m able to design and use sql db and i’m familiar with programming (javascript and other), IT architecture and so on.

My doubt are related specifically about how to use influx and grafana.

eg: to store geo references is better to use infuxdb tags (a measure for every data generation node equipped with fields (temperature for example) and Lat/Lon as tags ?
Or (i prefer) use some kind of “normalization” so have a sql table with node id, node description, lat, lon and then “join” with the data from the influx measure?

I’m not familiar enough with timeseries and influxdb.

Supposing to use a sql db I’d use the a normalized structure:
table with node id, description, lat, lon, …
table with node-id, timestamp, field1, field2, …

Hope is understandable :slight_smile:

Since your question is more towards influxdb here are a couple of resources that will help you
read this first

And take this course