Grafana is not sending entire alert message to Telegram channel

Hi All,

We’re using Grafana 7.0.3, and have metrics getting ingested from 500+ servers in InfluxDB via Telegraf. We have various alert rules for CPU/Memory/Mount Utilization etc and have different notification channels configured. The alerts are getting triggered as expected with appropriate message.
However, I’ve noticed the message for Telegram gets truncated. For eg. if there are 12 servers for which alert should be triggered due to some condition, in the email alert I can see all 12 servers but in the Telegram group, there are only first 6 servers.
At first I thought there could be something at Telegram end, but even via webhook, I’m able to get entire message on Telegram group. The webhook approach in our case involves some hard coded mapping and so we want to avoid that.
My question is that is there any limit for Telegram message at all? Can it be increased? If yes, can someone please direct me to any helpful doc/resource?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @himanshigupta

I’d be curious to know if alert messages are still having this truncation issue with the new Unified Alerting in Grafana 8, which shipped today.

It’s an entirely new alerting platform with much greater power and ease-of-use. And it includes much greater support for variables in alerts

Check it out:

docker run -p 3000:3000 --name=grafana -e "GF_FEATURE_TOGGLES_ENABLE=ngalert" grafana/grafana:8.0.0

i’m getting the same ‘cut’ messages via telegram and grafana 7.5.10… @mattabrams how does advising people to test 8.x helps them with 7.x grafana versions? thanks.

PS: and yes, my arch installed grafana 8.1.2 cuts telegram messages as well, but only if “notification settings” → “include image” enabled.

This topic was automatically closed after 365 days. New replies are no longer allowed.