Did a bad update break my grafana install? (late Jan 24)

I have had a grafana server (10.1.2) running on a RPi4-4GB running Bullseye for many months on my local network (no outside access available, as far as I know.) It plots temperature data collected from ESP8266’s using MQTT through a custom python program to an influx data base. For convenience, I have set the logon to anonymous so all my devices from Ubuntu PC’s to Android tablets can view Grafana.

First indication of trouble was (I think) last week. Out of the blue, I was presented with a logon demand instead of my usual dashboard plots. WTF!!! Am I hacked? So I edit the /usr/share/Grafana/conf/defaults.ini to set enabled = true in the [auth.anonymous] config section. (It was mysteriously set to false.) My dashboards were then loaded as usual.

As of Saturday, Grafana server no longer responds.

One thing I know to do is check systemctl status:
sudo systemctl status grafana-server

• grafana-server.service - Grafana instance
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/grafana-server.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    Active: inactive (dead) (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2024-01-29 16:06:20 PST; 30s ago
    Docs: http://docs.grafana.org
    Process: 28970 ExecStart=/usr/share/grafana/bin/grafana server --config=${CONF_FILE} --pidfile=${PID_FILE_DIR}/grafana-server.pid --packaging=deb cfg:default.paths.logs>
    Main PID: 28970 (code=exited, status=2)
    CPU: 95ms

Jan 29 16:06:20 rpi4lib systemd[1]: grafana-server.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1953.
Jan 29 16:06:20 rpi4lib systemd[1]: Stopped Grafana instance.
lines 1-10/10 (END)

So it appears to be restarting and failing, but I have no way to debug this further.

My only idea at this point is to uninstall and reinstall grafana. Luckily, I stored an export json of my latest dashboard, since I can’t do that now.

I found this

Should I:

1. partial
    sudo apt-get remove grafana

OR 2. Uninstall grafana and its dependencies:

sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove grafana

Any help appreciated!

do you have another grafana running on same host but a different port?

you could do a fresh install but remember to save ini files, plugin folders and sqlite db if you use that.

Check Grafana server logs, but don’t use systemctl for that. Use journalctl.

Thank you for your help!

It turned out there were more issues than just grafana on that RPi4 after a power off shutdown and reboot on Saturday. My RPi_HAT_UPS should have handled that outage.

A reboot started everything running again.

Thought I had done that, sorry to bother everyone.